Microsynodontis breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
scientist0724
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA

Microsynodontis breeding

Post by scientist0724 »

I recently acquired a group of 10 Microsynodontis sp. "Bumblebee" from a group buy and would love to breed them. I have not been able to find any info about their breeding behavior or any successful captive breeding.

Can I assume that I should use marbles like the larger cousins like petricolas or lucipinnis in a breeding "cave" ie an inverted slotted flowerpot?

Arlene
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Re: Microsynodontis breeding

Post by corybreed »

To my knowledge there are no records of any captive spawnings of any of the Microsynodontis. I now have a group of 40 that came in from Nigeria. Hopefully someone will be the first to spawn these fish. I have friends who have kept Microsynodontis for years without observing any spawning activity. You need to experiment to find out what will trigger them to spawn.

Best of luck.
Mark
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

My opinion is not too many Synodontis or their relatives will breed in these egg traps you mention...mainly a Tanganyikan Syno thing.

To start you quite likely have what we call here an undescribed species...a photo would help to ID correctly.
I have worked a wee bit with these myself, just reorganizing a few tanks for these as well as similar for M.polli(thanks to Jools) and Mochokiella paynei(thanks to Mark).

It is just a theory of mine but I think treat these and any small cousin more as if spawning cory's or killifish...using spawning mops, live plants with root systems(anubias) that sort of thing...I think a big problem with these is there appetite and ability to hunt down the eggs. An egg laden female carries large eggs for a fish this size...many egg scatterers have much smaller eggs.

here is a former post...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =8&t=25626

Birger
Birger
scientist0724
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA

Post by scientist0724 »

Thanks for the info Birger. I think that I'll try to make some breeding mops with Fissidens and Java mosses.

Wish me luck.

Arlene
Jeffww
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Location 2: Houston, TX

Post by Jeffww »

I've just gotten some Microsynodontis sp. (1) which were labeled as M. polli. I saw seomeone in the cat e log had eggs but no resulting fish from them. They spawned amongst the roots of anubias.
Vess
My cats species list: 39 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:105)
Location 2: Scotland

Post by Vess »

Jeffww wrote:I've just gotten some Microsynodontis sp. (1) which were labeled as M. polli. I saw seomeone in the cat e log had eggs but no resulting fish from them. They spawned amongst the roots of anubias.
I have polli also, not even a sniff of breeding....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “African Catfishes”