Sexing WC L46

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
JayC74
Location 2: Boston Massachusetts
Interests: fishkeeping, fishing

Sexing WC L46

Post by JayC74 »

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew if the majority of WC L46 being sold by distributers are already sexed before you get them. I know the females are more allusive in the wild and therefore represent a lower % of them being distributed. Since they are rarer and worth more $, are many of the females usually cherrypicked before they get to the hobbiests? Thanx for any feedback,

Jason
mekkalicious
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 2: italy

Re: Sexing WC L46

Post by mekkalicious »

always depends on the size, usually in the first year of age is difficult to know whether male or female, that in many fish.
Zeno
Location 2: (Antwerp) Belgium

Post by Zeno »

JayC74 wrote:Hi, was wondering if anyone knew if the majority of WC L46 being sold by distributers are already sexed before you get them. I know the females are more allusive in the wild and therefore represent a lower % of them being distributed. Since they are rarer and worth more $, are many of the females usually cherrypicked before they get to the hobbiests? Thanx for any feedback,

Jason
The few known imports to me (via Peru) are usually smuggled adult fish between other legal species. Since a female 46 is yielding a multiple of a male, you may assume that they are indeed sexed as much as possible beforehand. The majority of the female fish is going (via Europe or North America) towards Asia, because they are paying the highest prices at the market for interbreeding experiments with other species. Money rules ... as always ...

Greetz, Zeno
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

The majority of the female fish is going (via Europe or North America) towards Asia, because they are paying the highest prices at the market for interbreeding experiments with other species.
Zeno...is this just your opinion or do you have proof of this.

Generally if the Asians want these fish they do not need them to go through a middleman in Europe or North America.
Birger
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

What I've heard is that wild-caught females are more uncommon in the trade because males are easier to catch, since males are more likely to dwell inside caves where they can be found and therefore caught. Not sure if there's any truth to the statement but it seems reasonable.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

What I've heard is that wild-caught females are more uncommon in the trade because males are easier to catch, since males are more likely to dwell inside caves where they can be found and therefore caught. Not sure if there's any truth to the statement but it seems reasonable.
To add to that if someone would be allowed to chose their group of fish and would be able to tell apart the sexes whether wild or tank raised for a Hypancistrus zebra breeding tank they would chose a couple of males and a larger group of females which would then give you a remaining group of males.

Birger
Birger
JayC74

Post by JayC74 »

just wondering folks-should a redflag go up if a distributor of WC zebras refuses to sex a lot of 5 or 6 specimans from 2.5 to 3inch. Am i better off just finding some juvie F1's and pray for a few females that way?
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

JayC74 wrote:just wondering folks-should a redflag go up if a distributor of WC zebras refuses to sex a lot of 5 or 6 specimans from 2.5 to 3inch. Am i better off just finding some juvie F1's and pray for a few females that way?
Not necessarily, although there should be sexable fish at that size...

Almost none of my fish were actually sold by distributors, but from other hobbyists through Aquabid, which are able to tell whether they have males or females, or provide pictures of specific fish. Unungy was also kind enough to sell me a group of plecs, including a nice breeding male, to go with my group of adult females. If you're not buying sexed adults you will be playing a game of chance regardless whether they are wild caught or captive-bred, but I assume your chances are better with F1's (but this is only an assumption).
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Zeno
Location 2: (Antwerp) Belgium

Post by Zeno »

@ Jason

I agree, you better watch out for some F1’s. The smaller you purchase them, the more chances you have to find later on some female fish. It al depends how much patience you have.

@ Birger

Of course these are things said off the record. As far I know they have been imported together with a large amount of L400. Why Asians are using for example an European importer is because initially the connections and knowhow about Brazilian export is running (since decades) by them. At the other hand; Asian is also exporting an important amount of exotic fish to Europe and North America.

Greetz, Zeno
JayC74

Post by JayC74 »

Zeno wrote:@ Jason

I agree, you better watch out for some F1’s. The smaller you purchase them, the more chances you have to find later on some female fish. It al depends how much patience you have.

@ Birger

Of course these are things said off the record. As far I know they have been imported together with a large amount of L400. Why Asians are using for example an European importer is because initially the connections and knowhow about Brazilian export is running (since decades) by them. At the other hand; Asian is also exporting an important amount of exotic fish to Europe and North America.

Greetz, Zeno
I think your right Zeno. Patience might be the key word. Finding a nice group of F1's sooner or later is prob the best way to go for some fem's

Interbreeding with zebras just seems so wrong (if this is really going on)when the rivers and the hobbiest's need many more full blooded L46.

Jason

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”