Synodontis granulosa question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
amiidae
My images: 547
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 179
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Re: Synodontis granulosa question

Post by amiidae »

My new fish. :d

abt 7-8inch TL. Female ?
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

btw, anyone know what sort of furniture do they need for spawning ?

Any educated guess ?
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

NHA who have spawned them via natural methods do not use any special layout AFAIK. What they do do though is to condition up their best male and best female in separate tanks and only bring them together for the spawning attempt. Only one of their females has spawned but with several different males at different attempts.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Thanks for the info, Richard.

I will probably setup a tank separator and remove it when they 'look' ready. :)
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

amiidae wrote:Thanks for the info, Richard.

I'd be interested to see how a tank seperator would work, as i believe the reason NHA use separate tanks is so no pheremones/hormones etc are sensed by the other fish as they are in separate bodies of water.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Richard B wrote:I'd be interested to see how a tank seperator would work, as i believe the reason NHA use separate tanks is so no pheremones/hormones etc are sensed by the other fish as they are in separate bodies of water.
Me too. From the people who have successfully bred synos in my area, I have gathered that pheremones/hormones play a huge part in the whole reproductive process. It has been recommended to me to have some other fish in the same tank as the female that are breeding. Guppies, mbuna, whatever. Anything that will survive in the same water conditions and breed and thus produce their own pheromones.

It's also always best to introduce your male(s) and female(s) together when there is a big change in atmospheric barometric pressure--the signal of a storm coming in. Some big water changes, daily or every other day, help too.

I would think people who are breeding Cyphotilapia frontosa, another deep water fish, will have the best conditions for breeding S. granulosa. You might even be able to breed them together in the same tank, so long as the tank is big enough that they can ignore each other.

Man, this makes me want to finally get my setup going for attempting to breed my S. angelica.
Richard B wrote:What they do do
Heheh! You said "do do". :))
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Richard B wrote:
amiidae wrote:Thanks for the info, Richard.

I'd be interested to see how a tank seperator would work, as i believe the reason NHA use separate tanks is so no pheremones/hormones etc are sensed by the other fish as they are in separate bodies of water.
I still have the choice to put them in separate tanks but thinking of using divider method out of convenience and also treat them like some aggressive cichlids with small hole on the separator for the smaller fish to retreat or cross over when he is ready.

Do you have more info fm NHA ? oh ya, I may put in a inverted flower put and see if it help.
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Scleropages wrote:
Richard B wrote:I'd be interested to see how a tank seperator would work, as i believe the reason NHA use separate tanks is so no pheremones/hormones etc are sensed by the other fish as they are in separate bodies of water.
Me too. From the people who have successfully bred synos in my area, I have gathered that pheremones/hormones play a huge part in the whole reproductive process. It has been recommended to me to have some other fish in the same tank as the female that are breeding. Guppies, mbuna, whatever. Anything that will survive in the same water conditions and breed and thus produce their own pheromones.

It's also always best to introduce your male(s) and female(s) together when there is a big change in atmospheric barometric pressure--the signal of a storm coming in. Some big water changes, daily or every other day, help too.

I would think people who are breeding Cyphotilapia frontosa, another deep water fish, will have the best conditions for breeding S. granulosa. You might even be able to breed them together in the same tank, so long as the tank is big enough that they can ignore each other.

Man, this makes me want to finally get my setup going for attempting to breed my S. angelica.
I know what you mean. I have friends who deliberately added some whiptails in their L46 tank and once the WT started breeding, their L46 spawn as well. :)

I have a friend who managed to breed his Moba here. He succeeded after hooking up a chiller and run it at low 20s. I hope I don't have to take that route for this cat.

Return to “African Catfishes”