L46 breeding questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
JayC74
Location 2: Boston Massachusetts
Interests: fishkeeping, fishing

L46 breeding questions

Post by JayC74 »

Hi all, I have been keeping L46 for years, but just recently bought a small group of them and started thinking of getting them to breed in the near future(might need a couple more females before this happens, though). I have a couple questions. First, i was wondering from the members who have been successful with breeding them what shaped caves their zebras liked the most(square,triangle,round)? Also what materials do the zebras prefer for their caves(slate,clay,rock,etc)?
For a group of 7 or 8 specimans, wanted to know which tank is best for breeding purposes-40gal breeder or a 55gal long tank or does it matter?

Thanx for any feedback,
Jay
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: L46 breeding questions

Post by vanillarum »

Hey Jay. Well, I have not had a zebra spawn yet, but I have been keeping them for 4 or 5 years. My zebras seem to like the clay D shaped caves the best. I have a colony of 12 in a 40 gallon breeder tank, that is bare bottomed, with lots of slate, rocks, and driftwood. The only light they get is when I feed them or do tank maintenance. The room is dark with the only light coming from the 5 other tank lights in the room. I also use rectangular slate caves and round ceramic ones. I figured - let them decide what they like, and they do use all of the shapes and sizes, but mostly they use the smaller D shaped ones. Hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck.

Dan.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
JayC74

Post by JayC74 »

Thanx Dan for the info. Might go with an assortment like you have.

Does anyone else have a preference on which shaped caves their zebras felt most comfortable with breeding in?

thanx,
Jay
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

I have square-shaped caves and breeding bells made of clay from plecocaves.com and my zebra plecs have spawned once so far in the square-shaped caves. This was a couple months ago. I have a 40 gallon tank with 6 specimens. I personally like the 40 gallon better than the 55 since it has a larger footprint, hence more bottom space.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
JayC74

Post by JayC74 »

Thanx Milton. I'm gonna check that site out. Congrats on your recent breeding success.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”