Red lizard eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Red lizard eggs

Post by apistomaster »

I believe my males or the other adult L10a do sometimes eat the young.
This is unusual for a Loricaridid but so is much of everything else about these fish.
Most whiptail or Sturisoma types have a short period of vulnerability just after they hatch but before they have finished using up their approximately two days worth of energy derived from their residual egg yolks. They are quite helpless for about a 48 hours period.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Xod
Location 2: Seattle Wa

Post by Xod »

I removed the male and resorted to artificial hatching. I hope i can at least see some frys
tomr
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:67)
Location 1: hamburg,NY
Location 2: hamburg, ny
Interests: L333, L66,All synos.L10a, LDA 31

Post by tomr »

My male is still guarding. should hatch soon.
All Synos., L10a.plecos, all cats
Xod
Location 2: Seattle Wa

Post by Xod »

nice, I think I have dead wigglers. Basically I see a body outside of the egg but no movement.. I assume the egg then becomes a yolk sac.

Kinda like a sperm cell.. has a tail, head, and eyes.
tomr
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:67)
Location 1: hamburg,NY
Location 2: hamburg, ny
Interests: L333, L66,All synos.L10a, LDA 31

Post by tomr »

the eggs are now hatching. About 11 days at 77F.
All Synos., L10a.plecos, all cats
donpetty
My cats species list: 46 (i:32, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 13 (i:8, p:464)
Location 1: West Richland, WA
Location 2: West Richland,WA
Interests: Loricarids,Corydoras and relations,Rainbows, Hillstream loaches.

Post by donpetty »

Hi I wanted to update you that my L10a's spawned again, this time I removed the tube and eggs into one of those new Marina HOB breeding boxes, so that they could enjoy the tank water at the temperature of the adults.
This seems to have worked much better as the two previews times as I may have said resulted in someone, likely the females munching out on the eggs. I did not use any meth blue, but I did add an air stone in one end of the clay tube to make sure a current was moving across the eggs. All of the eggs hatched on Tuesday and the fry seem to be doing well;
I count at least 11 of them, I am not sure what a normal clutch size is and as they were laid inside of the tube I had no way to count them. I did see one that looked like it still had a sac, but the rest seem to be looking for food. I moved them into a tub that I house new Cory fry in, in hopes that the Cory fry will keep them moving about, the tub contains Kapata leaf, aged sponges, I am feeding micro worms, baby brine and fry powder. One note per my previous post, I did add a heater back to the adult tank and that seemed to brighten them up, so maybe I was keeping them too cool. Here is a shot of one of the young. Thanks for all of the great advice in this post! It obviously worked. :-!
Don
Attachments
Baby L10a 3 days old
Baby L10a 3 days old

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”