Helping to get them to breed - Cory metae - WC

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
iziko
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Israel

Helping to get them to breed - Cory metae - WC

Post by iziko »

Hi every one,

I have a group on 9 cory. metae. two of them was pick up today from my LFS as they seems to be female with eggs.

I need some advice how to get them to breed.

here is a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3yZdQZChI

Thank you!
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: Helping to get them to breed - Cory metae - WC

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Have you read this article by Ian Fuller?
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I have bred these. They didn't seem to be very different from other corys, but they bred in a large community tank "when they felt like". I tried occassionaly to "make them breed", but I couldn't predict exactly when they would do it.

The water in the tank was fairly warm, 26-27'C, low hardness (TDS around 75-100ppm), pH around 7.

--
Mats
iziko
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Israel

Post by iziko »

Hi Dave - I saw Ian article a few time. Looking for others how breeding them as well.

Hi Mats - the info is good! Mine in 240l tank with 4 adult of pterophyllum Leopoldi.

Temp is 26-27 also. TDS at the moment is 520 microsimens. All water change from last month are with RO unit at TDS of 12 at exit. Hope to be on 100 at the end of April.
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Post by corylady »

i breed 2 types of corys. trilineatus AKA triple-lines and orange lasers. the orange lasers r 3 mos. out of peru. wild fish r harder to breed. my triple-lines breed every8-10 days. where corys come from in S.America there is a rainy season. this is usually when they breed. to mimic this, do 4-5 water changes 50-85% in a row, every day. i use stress coat as it doesn't stress the fish.(don't use too much! follow directions)and i use tap water unaged. my ph is 6.4-6.8' ,all my tanks r kept at 74 degrees. i live in a small 60 ft. fema trailer so i just keep my thermostsat down low. otherwise keep a gallon of treated water in the fridge and add the whole thing every water change, refill it and stick it back in the fridge. this will usually bring on spawning. sometimes if a big storm is brewing do a water change before or during it as i think barometric pressure helps also. can't gaurantee it, but it works for me. i've already got the orange lasers to spawn this way. good luck!
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

In my personal experience, if you can get more flow around the tank and more turbulent surface movement, or even add an airstone that is strong enough will help. They think it's raining when water splashes around and love putting eggs on powerheads and similar windy aerias. I haven't done a single cold water change with mine and they can't stop laying eggs.
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Post by corylady »

the cold water thing also depends on where ur corys come from. i read that if ur corys come from higher altitudes, tTHAT'S when the cold water counts. lower altitude fish would not require cold water, just the "rain". my orange lasers came from the high country of peru as did my trilineatus. the trilineatus also come from equador. both countries have high country streams where these fish live. my fish do excellent in the cool water, i rarely have any losses. haven't lost a spawner in 2 yrs. i gave my girlfriend 15 of my trilineatus she put in a patio tank( in florida) at 84 degrees w/ angelfish and such. they were dead in 2 days. she put pandas in there and they r fine. ????????? my fish r healthy and i sell a lot of them and get good reports back on survival.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”