English is a crazy language

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: English is a crazy language

Post by sidguppy »

My car's power output is still specified in horsepower.. I think I've once in my life ridden a horse.
that has baffled me for some time now, because they don't just use plain "horse power" anymore, but "break horse power".
or is it "brake horse power"?

and to make things worse; it's not evemn equal to a 'real' horsepower at all....

so what did they do? did they break the horse in 2 or more parts (break horse power)/ is it less then 1 true horse power or more?

or is it applied to calculate to the amount of force needed to the 'brakes' of a horse (brake horse power)?
a horse doesn't have visible 'brakes', but anyone who ever ridden one, knows the biggest brake on a horse is between its' ears: the lazier the horse, the bigger its' brakes ;)

at least a few decades ago they used plain old 'horsepower'.
a very famous small French car even owns up to that; the 2CV.
that stands for 'Deux Cheveaux' which literally means '2 horses'.
the amount of power put out by the first models' engine.

Anglo-saxons are beyond weird with their English language!

pretty soon it'll get so inconcievable that we will not be able to understand each other.....
or is it incomprehensible?
:))
Valar Morghulis
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: English is a crazy language

Post by MatsP »

sidguppy wrote:
My car's power output is still specified in horsepower.. I think I've once in my life ridden a horse.
that has baffled me for some time now, because they don't just use plain "horse power" anymore, but "break horse power".
or is it "brake horse power"?
Brake Horse Power is just how you measure it - a De Prony Brake - there are several other variants.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”