Fish you regret getting rid of

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Fish you regret getting rid of

Post by Taratron »

For a few years, I was on a damn roll with getting any fish that caught my eye. Black guppies, syno cats, tons of cories. I wasted gods know how much money on fish I bought, and then within a few months decided to sell, either because they weren't what I wanted, or some stupid excuse. Gone that way went the longfin panda cories, the syno petricolas, the black moscow guppies. The guppies, for some reason, started to die in my water; when I sold my last trio to a breeder, he has hundreds of them to this day. The synos went to a friend, and within two months they were spawning like crazy.

But those aren't that big a deal. What I kick myself over are my tatias, ones I sold last year, when money was tight and selling a few dozen of my blue-eyed ancistrus fry wasn't going to cut it. So I dug out my six adult tatia intermedia, ones I'd had for years, debated, and then sold the group. I was trying to save my L333 adult males and 6 juvies but they too went on the block a week or two later.

One guy got both groups, and he messaged me today stating that he is expecting fry from the tatias, as they laid a massive egg clump for him. I'm thrilled that we should, hopefully, have more of these fish now, but I kick myself for selling them. Should have set up another tank for them, should have sold something else, but so it goes.

But regrets aside, I did get my dream fish from a guy getting out of fish entirely, a trio of zebras. I'd rather keep them than any tatia and chances are good I can get some fry from the new breeder.

If nothing else I am getting the reputation for giving away extras when I sell, because the female Egyptian mouthbrooder was holding eggs when I sold her, the sterbai spawned for their new owner who saved the eggs, and the guppies, as I said above, are at nearly every fish club auction.

Still, damn. I regret the tatias the most.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Re: Fish you regret getting rid of

Post by nvcichlids »

THe fish I miss the most are my L127's. Those guys were purchased on a whim as a "pair (meaning 2 fish)" of L127, shipped to me for a total of $10 (fish and shipping). Kept them for a while and after three sucessful spawns I sold them to a member of my LFC as he wanted to try to breed some L#'s. Well He moved away and I sold all my fry, so I am now high and dry and miss watching their weird backwards breeding in my breeding tubes.. yup, sure miss them :(
What's your favorite Dressing~~
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Many, many years ago I had a really cool freshwater Australian plotosid (). Never worked out what it was, but this was pre-PC days, mind.

Got beaten up badly by a , and I gave it away. Why did I not get rid of the syno? What was I thinking?
littlebristlenose
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Melbourne,Australia

Post by littlebristlenose »

L 014,L264 and L090 but if it buys a martal home??

Selling my orignal white L333 colony in 2002-3 this was first imported as L066.
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

I miss my pair of 12" L14's the most followed by my group of L200's Pretty common fish compared to some of the ones I have now, but I really liked them a lot!
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

To be honest is was only a few years ago, and I parted with a breeding group of Corydoras paleatus. I had this group for many years and the blue really shone, these also were the group that I used for the article;-
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=100
:YMSIGH:

But my biggest regret was many many years ago when I was much, much younger was letting go of a group of Corydoras revalatus what little beauties they were. They used to glisten like a piece of wet stone after it had rained, they didn't move around the tank that much and ate very little, I never once saw them eating. Maybe they were nocturnal feeders?. Nor did they seem interested in making babies
But, like I said I was much much younger then and it was a time when the world was not like it is now.
o:-)
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Brachyplatystoma tigrigrinum :(

I have been seriously thinking o clearing my one remaining tank out and getting another.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.

Return to “Speak Easy”