Looking for a small algae eater

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Biulu
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:0)
Location 2: Oaxaca, Mexico

Looking for a small algae eater

Post by Biulu »

Hi everybody!

I am setting up a new tank (125 litre) with a Asian white water theme. Temperature is going to be 24, pH around 7.4, low current, low light, dark substrate, heavily planted.

Future inhabitans will be:
zebra loaches
peacock gobies
cherry barbs
lambchop rasboras
female betta

Plants:
Crypts
Aponogeton
Java fern
Java moss
Rotalas

I am looking for a small algae eater (in line with the size of its inhabitants) to complete this set-up. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Re: Looking for a small algae eater

Post by racoll »

Have you considered Crossocheilus?
Biulu

Post by Biulu »

I considered the siamensis, but I think it gets too big and needs more current than I will have. I am also finding confusing info about these fish. Some say that the siamensis is never seen in the trade and that most are oblongus which get to 10 cms although others say 16 as well.

Then I read they should be kept in groups in at least 40 gallons (mine is 30 gallons). Others say you can keep 3-4 fish in 100 litres (which would be possible). I also read that they need well-oxygenated water with a fast current....

Anybody can give me some less ambigious info on these fish?

Thanks, Eleonore
racoll

Post by racoll »

Anybody can give me some less ambigious info on these fish?
I certainly can!

The fishes seen in the trade are indeed not C. siamensis, but nor are they C. oblongus. What you will get are C. langei and C. atrilimes most often. Check out the profiles on seriouslyfish.com for more info.

I don't think it matters care-wise though, as they are much the same. I have kept them in a variety of tanks and they are thoroughly unfussy as far as conditions go (including current). Your tank sounds fine for them to me.

You may find they are ultimately a little on the large side for a "gentle tank", but you could always trade them in at the LFS when they get too boisterous?

Crossocheilus reticulatus is very nice if you can find it too.
racoll

Post by racoll »

Oh, and the Crossocheilus will eat your Java moss! Well, they did mine at least.
Biulu

Post by Biulu »

racoll wrote:Oh, and the Crossocheilus will eat your Java moss! Well, they did mine at least.
Thanks for all the info! I am not too hung up on java moss so that is not a problem... I just found Crossocheilus atrilimes, a smaller species that gets only to 7 - 7.5 cm; that would be ideal! I prefer to keep the fish in the ideal numbers and can easily get away with a group of 5 - 6. Plus that they will not become too prominent comparing to the other fish.
racoll

Post by racoll »

I just found Crossocheilus atrilimes, a smaller species that gets only to 7 - 7.5 cm
Good luck trying to tell them apart from C. langei in the store when they are juveniles swimming around fast! The C. langei should have a short, black marking between the anus and anal fin, but this isn't easy to spot at all.
I prefer to keep the fish in the ideal numbers and can easily get away with a group of 5 - 6.
I don't think they absolutely need to be kept in groups. I have a pair and they seem amicable and outgoing enough. I had a single one for a while, and that seemed fine too. You may find 5-6 will damage your plants. As well as the eating of the Java moss, I notice a few holes in my crypts and ferns with just two in the tank.
Biulu

Post by Biulu »

Thanks! I do not intend to obtain this species from a shop (I am almost certain I won't be able to get them....) but rather through my local aquarium society. I know they are not known to be bred in captivity, but they will be able to give me trusted sources for these fish.

Good to know that a pair is doing fine too. I definitively would prefer that...

Return to “Asian Catfishes”