Breeding C. habrosus ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Coursair
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: California USA

Breeding C. habrosus ?

Post by Coursair »

For those who have bred this species, I've read what I could find on here and on the web, but one question I have (among many) is,
what size/age do these little guys breed at ?

I have a group of 5. One is the largest, one is a bit smaller and then the other 3 are about 1/2 the size of the biggest one. The BIG one appears to be perhaps 1 1/4 " perhaps.

Here are bad phone pix.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325485524.494114.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325485448.022558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325485448.022558.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Sweety
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Northumberland, UK

Re: Breeding C. habrosus ?

Post by Sweety »

I'm the same as you mate would love to hear from those who have bred these great little fish with info on size of fish & the temp needed etc :-BD
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Re: Breeding C. habrosus ?

Post by Coryologist »

Coursair wrote:For those who have bred this species, I've read what I could find on here and on the web, but one question I have (among many) is, what size/age do these little guys breed at ?
Most Corys start breeding at around 9 months. I've had some start going through the motions at 6 months and start spawning by 7 months. I used to believe it took around one year, but from my experience that is not true.

I have bad pics of those, also. :-) Cheers. - Frank

Juvenile C. habrosus:

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
Coursair

Breeding C. habrosus ?

Post by Coursair »

Coryologist wrote:
Coursair wrote:For those who have bred this species, I've read what I could find on here and on the web, but one question I have (among many) is, what size/age do these little guys breed at ?
Most Corys start breeding at around 9 months. I've had some start going through the motions at 6 months and start spawning by 7 months. I used to believe it took around one year, but from my experience that is not true.

I have bad pics of those, also. :-) Cheers. - Frank

Juvenile C. habrosus:

That young ? Good to know. I'm having my Aquatic Plant club meeting at my house soon. May try to set up a species tank for them.
Or may wait a couple of months to get some size on them. All in good shape except one came missing part of his barbels. No fungus so I think he'll get them back. They eat fine.

My tank is 70-72f. Heavily planted. I have a set of Breeding Tubes for my Shrimp, Cories do explore them. I'm feeding frozen Baby Brine Shrimp, frozen Blood Worms, Shrimp pellets and assorted foods for my Shrimp and fish.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325548437.017402.jpg
Coursair

Breeding C. habrosus ?

Post by Coursair »

This is an older pic, breeding tubes are on far right. Before Mosses and Chain Swords disguised them.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325556424.776601.jpg

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”