My L102 Snowball not eating

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

Re: My L102 Snowball not eating

Post by sodapopdima »

Thanks Geoff, its weird

He has a very slow eating phase, he seems to hardley eat if ever at all, but no sunken belly, and he is energetic when he needs to be. He must be eating something. The other night, I caught him under the Lunar Lights sucking on the glass. I dropped with a long self made slushi straw contraption shrimp brine, meat sinking pellets, I even tried alae waffers and I put them just milimeters from his face, and he just refuses it. However, he is still alive, got a bit bigger since I last saw him too, so he must be eating something. The tank bio load is extremely low, I have tiny fish for small decor, and all water is DI RO water and a 20% weekly change with a 6week vacuum schedule. I am over filtering by 50%. I don't know what to make of it, I am glad I finally properly identified the darn Pleco now I just wish I would actually see him eat.

How long can these guys go without food till I would notice a bad sign, like a sunken belly, or for the Pleco to be lethargic?

So Far I have not noticed any negative signs, but just curious.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

sodapopdima wrote:He has a very slow eating phase, he seems to hardley eat if ever at all
racoll wrote: 78F is a bit cold for these fish. 82-84 would be better.
Did you raise the temperature in the end?
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

Post by sodapopdima »

Yes got a heater, always in the 80~82 range but usually 82

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”