Goldie - minus food = death ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Goldie - minus food = death ?

Post by andregurov »

I have come across a large (12") Scobinancistrus aureatus where I work - his problem being an extremely sunken stomach (and sunken eyes). All attempts to feed him have met with failure. He has several driftwood caves, 80 degree F water, and a patient owner. I've seen smaller plecos with the same sunken stomach never recover from shipping, but with his size I refuse to give up. A list of his rejected food:
1) cracked fw crabs
2) cracked fw clams
3) live/ dead earthworms
4) frozen bloodworms
5) frozen mysis shrimp
6) dead shiners
7) squash/zucchini with skin (smaller goldies seem to only eat the skin)
8) raw potato
9) sinking shrimp pellets
10) dead grass shrimp

The tank: 75 g, air-driven undergravel filter w/Aquaclear 500, only tankmate an 8 inch Jardini arowana, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 25 ppm nitrate

I believe he has simply gone too long without eating to turn the corner ... any suggestions or reasons for hope? I've had eels and other large plecs go weeks without eating, but it looks like he's already gone too long ...
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

its really quite hard to condition a plec that is not well.. especially when it doesnt want to feed on anything..
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Sunken eyes plus sunken stomach might not have too much chance of surviving, but I hope yours pull through..
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I know with discus, increasing the temperature and aeration in a tank can sometimes increase their activity level. Usually some live blackworms at that point are all thats needed to inspire an appetite, if they aren't terribly off. If he's that far gone, you might talk to a vet about getting a shot of something to help kick start his immune system. It sounds like he's having serious parasitic problems, IME, or some form of systemic shut down that's keeping him from eating. They might be able to give him a shot, since you can't get him to eat medicated foods. The fact that he is larger should at least mean he has a bit more "reserves" than a small pleco. It couldn't hurt.

Barbie
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

Barbie wrote:It couldn't hurt.

Barbie
he would only feel a little sting ;)

anyway, sorry to hear about your goldy, hope it does get better. I would try what Barbie suggested, even try some live food that he would like just to get him eating. a vet would be good if you can find yourself one.

here's hoping.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

How long is the food in before the arowana munches it?

can you move it to a seperate tank? if you can use all the water and substrate from the main tank. plus some anti-internal parasite treatment might give be worth a try. this is just what i would do. If you can consult a vet.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Andregurov, which store do you work at?
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Goldie, the return

Post by andregurov »

The Jardini only eats live fish (to my observation) - so I know he's not munching anything down there. Today the goldie passed some clearish fecal matter so evidently something found its way inside him overnight. If there were any vets here w/experience giving wormers to fish I'd easily spring for it ... but alas, I've not found any. I know Piperazine can be used to deparasitize (internally) fish but it is very dangerous at the wrong concentration and amount. Does anyone have any SAFE and PROVEN guidelines for injecting him (better yet, an on-line/printed reference)? Or is it something best not attempted by laymen?

Any other food recommendations? I'm worried increasing the heat will only burn him out faster.

In response to ClayT101 - a small pet shop on the Westbank, Rose Garden Center.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Generally, once the eyes are sunken, there is little you can do. I would recomend keeping it in the dark (Don't know about any meds that will work). Perhaps once it gets adjusted to captivity (especially if it is wild caught) it should start to take bloodworms or other food.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I would also move the Arowana into another tank, even if the Arowana eat only live food, it sure won't help your Scobinancistrus aureatus feel good.
A dark tank in a quite place would be good also, a piece of wood or another type of cave and some dark sand on the bottom. A raise of T° of 1-2 F° could be also good. I had success doing so with Loricariidae kept at a too low T° in a shop.
I'll try feeding live bloodworms, earthworm.
THe shot idea is also a good one but I would not do that on my own, I would try to find a Veterinarian in a Sea World like company, a public aquarium or at an Importator, They should have qualified people with experience for such thing...
I'll keep my finger crossed for your "Goldy"...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Did you quarantine the live feed for the jardini? The source of problem might be coming from the live feeders.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”