Ageneiosus 'Amazonus'

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Ageneiosus 'Amazonus'

Post by wrasse »

There are 5 of them, question is do you think they are all one species? two? or three? You will need to 'zoom in'...

Three are silvery-white with a black dappled pattern. One is all black with white lips (mammy!) and maybe the caudal has pointed lobes. One is black with a white throat.

I know I need to get steadier doing videos with my iphone :-p but these are always on the move. Although if you look at the sand, you will see an Amaralia.

They came in to Pier under the name 'amazonus' and were slithers no more than 4-5cm. I'll be moving them into a bigger tank shortly, now they are eating well.

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ageneiosus 'Amazonus'

Post by Silurus »

The striped ones appear to be and the all black ones .
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Richard, what are you feeding them? I bought the remaining 2 from Pier last Friday and they are in a temp tank at Jools' atm, but rather unwilling to eat and thus very skinny. Any info would be appreciated.
wrasse

Post by wrasse »

Hi Marc,

Mine are eating a prepared shrimp meal, very finely chopped earthworm and now bloodworm.
The shrimp meal is their favourite... it is raw prawns, cooked mussels, spinach, peas and a garlic clove, water squeezed out thoroughly, blended to a paste, spread on to baking tray, frozen, quickly cut in to strips, re-freeze.
They are not interested in dry foods yet.

What species do you think you have?

Richard
sidguppy
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Marc, this is what we got in NL as "shrimp mix" (Jan Boerlage's Garnalenmix)
I got a load of this in the freezer, so no worries once you're back home
;)

maybe you can supply it with some cheap feeders for the while being? guppies etc

btw I'm not home on 12-15 august, cause then I'm at Yellowstock.
back on monday afternoon/evening, but most likely completely wasted due to OD-ed on heavy rock and less heavy beer.
after that we can do fishy things such as get some shrimp-mix to you
:D
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

@ Alex: fine, we could do so. Enjoy the concerts
. I've not seen any Amphilius btw; sorry for that.

@ Richard: I don't know what they are yet and I think the only way to find out is wait until they have grown a fair bit. However, I'm pretty sure they are not A. magoi, A. sp 3 or A. cf atronasus.
The first based on pattern (although on your initial photo they looked like them), the second based on pattern and shape (the sp.3 have a much longer and flatter mouth) and the third mainly based on shape (cf atronasus is a much more compact fish imo).
Nevertheless, I could be wrong of course. Ageneiosus is no longer an easy genus -)).
wrasse

Post by wrasse »

I agree Marc.
My 2 darker specimens are not stocky, they are very snake-like the way they swim. Yes this may change as they mature. One of them has what appears to be a caudal with pointed lobes, I wonder if this might grow to be a bigger fish.
The 3 lighter specimens are attractive fish with nice patterning around the head. They get lighter after a waterchange.
They are not efficient feeders... The trick is to put food into the current so that it arrives in their faces. I doubt your new fish would have the strength to catch feeders, but I think you could try live brine shrimp
Industrial
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Buffalo, NY

Post by Industrial »

Cannot really contribute much on the species, but my A. marmoratus and A. sp 3 would only eat live feeder fish when I first got them. The sp. 3 came in rough and took a couple days to eat the feeders as well. After a while, they are all eating krill and bloodworm, but IME they all had to be started on live feeders.
sidguppy
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

uh oh.....

maybe I'm about to give poor Marc a cardiac arrest, but at last Ageneiosus have turned up in the Netherlands

it took about a hundred years give or take a minute, but Ruijnemans has got em
they'll probably quite expensive, given that I've seen the wholesale price and I know the difference to retail prices too, but they do have large labelled as "Flathead Shark Catfish" (translated from the Dutch name they invented)
they got 20.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”