L 144 or xanthoristic species of Bristlenoses?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

L 144 or xanthoristic species of Bristlenoses?

Post by kdreymann »

Hi,
does anyone know the difference between L 144 (yellow with black eyes) and xanthoristic Ancistrus sp. (yellow with black eyes as well)? Where does the original L 144 come from and how can I see, which species I have?
Klaus
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

I recently visited a couple of breeders in Germany and saw the L144 which they do breed there. Though it goes by the name Ancistrus sp. "gold black eye", it actually does have blue eyes. You can see their L144 here:

http://www.fischhaus-zepkow.de/gruppe_welse.html#Welse

I didn't buy any myself - just had to have some Phyllonemus typus and didn't have room for both species.
plesner
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

This is my big male "L144" which i got under the name of Ancistrus sp. "black eye". Ive actually never seen fish sold as L144. One shop guy told me they came in with the Albinos in the same shipment. So there probably is a difference.
cheers
Christian
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Woh yours is almost white, arent they suppose to be more yellowish in colours?
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

It only appears to be that light in the lower head region. With a little imagination you can see the beginning of a triangular spot between the eyes that is very reddish, also at the base of the tail.
I also have another one that was supposed to be a female for him but its turning out to be a male i fear.
cheers
Christian
kdreymann

Post by kdreymann »

Caol_ila wrote:Hi!

It only appears to be that light in the lower head region. With a little imagination you can see the beginning of a triangular spot between the eyes that is very reddish, also at the base of the tail.
I also have another one that was supposed to be a female for him but its turning out to be a male i fear.
Afaik there are at least six species of xanthoristic Ancistrus sp. - four with red eyes and two with black eyes, where one of the last is L 144, that seems not to be imported very often.
Klaus
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

And imo the base population of L144 cant be very big, because from what i understand how nature works this species doesnt have a whole lot of advantages in the wild. Or else we would many more xanthoristic fishes that are wild caught. Wouldnt we?
cheers
Christian
kdreymann

Post by kdreymann »

Caol_ila wrote:Hi!

And imo the base population of L144 cant be very big, because from what i understand how nature works this species doesnt have a whole lot of advantages in the wild. Or else we would many more xanthoristic fishes that are wild caught. Wouldnt we?
Yes, yes, babe! 8) 8) 8)
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well it would be interesting to know if the whole population is that way or if several individual are like this and the rest of the population is just common brown like many of those species. How is the biotop? light sand like we use for our tank and this way that fish is not disavantage from its color or rather dark sand with stones and driftwood... this way it is surely a big disadvantage to pocess such colour which should rule out a entire population with such color. Anyway it would not be the first time that DATZ show a known "species" with a untypical color morph...just look at the H. zebra...
Of the original fish imported, were there offspring and how did they look like? All like the parents or just a % of it??
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

thats a beautiful L144 :) are the L144 and L144a the same? do they just differ in coloration?
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....

Return to “What is my catfish?”