Is there a specific time of day they lay eggs????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
lhenry777
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: United States

Is there a specific time of day they lay eggs????

Post by lhenry777 »

Hi, I have Julii's(supposedly). 3 females and 2 males. Is there a specific time of day they prefer to lay their eggs? I have the lights set on a timer so I don't really get to see what goes on in the tank from morning until about 2pm. And I've seen them doing the classic "T" position. But haven't found any eggs yet. Do they lay the eggs immediately after doing this or do they wait a bit?
Thanks,
Lisa
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Is there a specific time of day they lay eggs????

Post by MatsP »

I can't say for sure for [1], but certainly many species of Corys usually lay their eggs at a particular time of day.

[1] I'm 99.9% sure that you have is C. trilineatus - True are very, very rare.

--
Mats
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

I did some searching on PlanetC and compared pics of each after I posted and it does appear I was sold Tri's instead of Julii's. Why do they do that? They are both beautiful cories?
Anyway, I guess I'll keep an eye before the light goes on and see what I can see. I have several others who would love to dine on the eggs and I wasn't really concerned but lately I've really had the desire to see the process through. So I'd really like to rescue some eggs.
Thanks so much for your reply. :)
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Most shops that sell Trilineatus list them as Julii. Don't know why that is, but the place you bought from isn't unusual in this regard.

I'd be surprised if the egg laying took place more than a few minutes after they were in the T position, but I'm just guessing.
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

Mchambers,
Thanks. I just assumed it took a while so I never paid attention before. I'll need to really watch next time the "T" up. It's really exciting. :)
And we have 2 nice LFS's and they both list them as Julii. One store has been around doing strictly fish for probably 35 years. I'll have to look at their "Julii" next time I go in to see what they look like. I got mine from the other. I hadn't found the strictly fish one at that time.
Thanks again for everyone's input. :)
Vlacek
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Czech rep.

Post by Vlacek »

The first time I watched my pandas spawning I was also wondering where the hell are the eggs? The female was doing everything she should do, looking for a good place to stick the egg on but I couldn't actually see if she had any egg between her fins. She was trying to stick them on glass right in the corner so it was difficult to watch her all time. Then I realized that she actually stuck the egg but it got always immediately eaten by the male following her! Only tiny mark/spot remained on the glass (a sticky part of egg). Spawning always took place late in the afternoon and lasted late into night. My experience was that more eggs survived when I shut off the lights and also removed all but one or two males.
BTW - some shops here are offering both julii and trilineatus but hard to say what these are really...
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

I haven't seen any "T"ing going on today but I've been paying closer attention even with the lights off. I have to really watch my light time or I get white fuzzy algae on my wood. It's gotten better though since I added live plants.
Has anyone had success with the spawning mops?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

The confusion on C. julii and C. trilineatus has been going on for a very long time - almost every shop will buy fish in under the name of C. julii, and they are nearly all C. trilineatus - especially when they are tank-bred from Asia!

--
Mats
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

To me there's not a huge difference, they are both spotty, just one not as much, but they still do what cories do so I love them. But I am definitely going to start looking and maybe mention something to the shop owners. If they pay more for "Julii" and are getting tri's they should put their foot down. But I guess it doesn't matter to most as long as they make a profit and sell them either way.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I can almost certainly say that C. trilineatus isn't available on anyones export list in South America or Asia. It's just one of those fish that "it's always been called the wrong thing, and it's not changing..."

And I don't think the shops are paying over the top for the fish - but true C.julii would probably have a bit more cost to them.

--
Mats
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

Just can't go wrong with any kind of cory huh? They're just cute little buggars :-p
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I have covered the "julii - trilineatus" debate several times,here as well as on other forums. C. julii inhabit the Rio Araguaia system in eastern central Brazil and are caught in their thousands when collected.They are not at all rare.
C. trilineatus on the other hand are fairly widespread on northern Peru, Southern Colombia and the north western areas of Brazil. There are also a couple of similar looking species in between. The name "trilineatus" does not roll of the tongue like "julii" does and therefore collectors/exporters and wholesale traders use it out of ease more than anything else.

Now. in answer to the original post. There are a large number of species that will spawn when the conditions are right irrespective of the time of day. There are certainly a number of species that only mate during the hours of darkness, the exact number is difficult to asses, mainly because by sunrise (lights on) the eggs have been eaten. Also some species will deposit their eggs in the sand, which makes it even more difficult to know when a species has spawned.

Ian
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

That is so True Ian. Julii is much easier to say. I can understand that.
So I just need to keep a keen eye on the when they're doing the "T" position. Since that has taken place at times when the lights are on, she is probably laying the eggs in my well planted tank, and they're being eaten before I see any. I think I may go ahead and use a separate tank. I have one with young angels in it that I can move into the bigger tank since that tank is already cycled. And put my cories there.
Thanks SOOO much for the info. I just knew they were making babies, just couldn't find any evidence.
I'm very grateful for everyone's willingness to help! :-BD
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

Ian, one last quick ?. As many times as the female goes back to the male to have the eggs fertilized makes me wonder. Do I have to move the male into the 10gal with the female or once I see the "T" position, can I move her in there by herself. Does she need the male to continuously fertilize each egg?
Thanks
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Coryman wrote:I have covered the "julii - trilineatus" debate several times,here as well as on other forums. C. julii inhabit the Rio Araguaia system in eastern central Brazil and are caught in their thousands when collected.They are not at all rare.
If they aren't rare (in the trade - may well be common in nature), how come every time we find a picture supposedly depicting C. julii, it isn't that species - if it's not rare, what is going on?

Surely you'll agree that in the trade, C. trilineatus is sold by the thousands every day, and true C. julii appear in the trade very rarely.

--
Mats
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

lhenry777,

The male needs to be in attendance. The come together in the so called "T" mating clinch each time the female is ready to release eggs.

Matts,

Pictures are fine if you know the source of the fish in the picture. I would not wager on one species or the other, or any in between for that matter, just from a picture without any details of where the fish was collected.

C. julii is not really rare in the trade, but because the name is associated with both species when shops obtain them from wholesales they all end up in the same tank. I certainly do not know of any shops that have separate tanks for each species, well except for one and I work there.

Ian
lhenry777

Post by lhenry777 »

Thank you Ian and thanks everyone. I'll make sure to transfer the male too. I was able to sneak a few eggs out yesterday. I cut 2 artificial plants to get each of the individual eggs she was laying. (cutting plastic underwater is amusing) and I got about 3 from the glass. I put them in a net breeder in the tank. I have angels that were eating the eggs before they even had a chance to hit the glass. No wonder I never saw any. If I want any babies, I HAVE to remove the parents. The male was working on getting them as well but he'll be more manageable.
Again thanks everyone. Happy corydor-ing everyone. :)
Lisa
kris
Location 2: Michigan, USA

Post by kris »

My apologies for my first post to bring up a somewhat old thread .. but the reason I joined this forum was to be able to learn more about Corys spawning. Yesterday, I realized the cory cat in with my Endlers (wild guppy variant) in broad daylight began to lay eggs all over the tank. She has no mate, although I have to wonder if the cory (same type) in the tank over (glass to glass) set her into motion? She is going to lay more soon. I was told that she is a sterbai.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”