2011 F1 fancy plecos from apistomaster

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

2011 F1 fancy plecos from apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hi my pleco seekers. I still have L134, now formally described as Peckoltia compta and well known as the Leopard Frog Pleco and the handsome, Hypancistrus sp L333 for sale this year. Please note my supply of L134 is not as numerous this year as they were as last year and the prices for wild fish are running around $50 to $60 each. My L134 are all at least 10 months old and I have been able to spawn them as young as 2 years old.
This year the L134 will be priced at 6/$240.

The Hypancistrus sp L333 prices will remain the same as last year, 6/$150.

I will only sell in 6 pleco lots but I will accept any mix of my two species totaling 6 or more so if you wish to have a few of each that is fine. The individual prices will be $25 for L333 and $40 for L134 plus shipping and packaging.

All the fish I sell are between 2 and 2-3/4 inches in total length which is about the same size as most of the wild fish when it comes to the Leopard Frogs.
For now, Brazil is still not allowing the collection and exporting of their wild Hypancistrus although L333 are being considered for being placed back on their "fish allowed for export list" but a final decision has not been published as of this time. L333 reach a maximum size in aquariums of about 4-1/2 inches typically.
L134 usually reach a maximum size of about 3-3/4 inches.

I charge a flat rate of $45 to cover Express mail to any of the lower 48 States.
I have a box charge of $10. My actual cost for my boxes is $13.50 and I use breathable bags so 6 of those is about another $1.50. Basically I am going to absorb 1/3 of the cost of my shipping materials and passing on the rest to my customers.

I plan to begin shipping out fish beginning in April but exactly when depends on the prevailing weather between where you and I live. Last year I was able to begin shipping out around April 10th.

I have a large supply of L333 but not so many L134 so it will be a first come first served for the L134 plecos.

I want all to know these are both excellent plecos to keep with Discus but they seem to have trouble digesting a beef heart heavy diet. Once in awhile beef heart is OK but often if they are fed beef heart every day they develop a fatal bloat. They love beef heart but do not have the good sense to eat it in moderation. If you provide them some wood and or some caves they may be kept in bare bottom tanks but they look best in planted tanks where they can replace Corydoras as your primary bottom feeders.
They do best on a diet of frozen blood worms and earth worm sticks but they eat and thrive on all the popular Discus pellet foods. These plecos are best kept at 84*F. They are raised in tap water with a pH of 7.4 and a TDS of about 240 ppm. As long as your water is kept clean and warm, they will thrive in most any tap water or in soft, acid water. If you use soft, acid water you should acclimate these fish carefully but they are native to soft. acid rivers and occur in river systems known for their wild Discus.
Here are some representative photos of the fish I am selling and thank you for looking:
First L134 Leopard Frogs
L333 Hypancistrus
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
apistomaster

Re: 2011 F1 fancy plecos from apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

One of my customers who bought 6-L33 from me last spring reported this weekend that his fish bred for their first time. I am pleased and surprised since the fish are only about 2 years old. Most of the plecos I sell are sent out at 10 to 13 months old. Most L333 I send out are 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 inches.
If you want to try breeding one of the Xingu River plecos, you will find that L333 are one of the easier species to breed. And I now know that the L333 I am selling do not make you wait too long.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Post by bsmith »

I will have some of your 134's before too long. Good luck.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Thanks and good luck with your L183 sales once you decide they are ready to begin selling.
jczz1232
Location 2: NYC

Post by jczz1232 »

Both you L333 and L134 they don't hide much?
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Well, they are plecos so they are going to hide.
L134 are the bolder.
But all plecos can be conditioned to at least come out to feed.
Often they get more reclusive as they reach adulthood and are more apt to come out when they are still immature. It helps when you have a group because you have natural competition working for you in helping to get them to show themselves more often.
Another tactic which can help is if you place the caves facing the front along a line about 1/3 the way back from the front glass.
Larry
jczz1232
Location 2: NYC

Post by jczz1232 »

Ah I see. Thanks
clearsky
Location 2: virginia

Post by clearsky »

can you tell me if you have either still available?
thanks
david
Aura
Location 1: washington

Post by Aura »

Do you still have L134s left for sale?

Very strange -- I didn't see your post there clearsky, until after I posted mine. ^#(^
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Aura wrote:Do you still have L134s left for sale?

Very strange -- I didn't see your post there clearsky, until after I posted mine. ^#(^
Well, I am glad you found it. I put the link into my signature and just updated the signature to say I think I only have about enough left to accept 6 or 7 orders. I have many orders just waiting for the weather to warm up more. It has been unusually cool here and I notice the same is true in many other areas.
It should change for the warmer very soon. Last year I think I sent out the first fish around April 12th.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Just to explain: New members posts need to be approved by a moderator before they are visible to others - this is to prevent spam. Unfortunately, I didn't spot this one until this afternoon for some reason...

--
Mats
chad320
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Spring Valley, IL

Post by chad320 »

I am interested in 3 of each but am too new to PM you. If you PM me with your PP addy ill swap info and get you paid up. I have good references at "the planted tank" forum. Thanks!
clearsky
Location 2: virginia

Post by clearsky »

What is really kind of weird, is that I have/had been a registered member from quite some time ago,,, but hadn't been on the site for several months (maybe 6 or so) and I forgot my password, so had to go through all the hoops to get a new one....
after that, it treated me like a "new" member..... oh well....
guess it's working now..
david
Aura

Post by Aura »

Well, I'm glad there was an explanation other than I'm losing it...

Apistomaster, thanks for the info. I really need a male for my two females, but don't have room for six more. If I can find someone else near me that's interested in a few, I'll post back.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Aura,
Even I have difficulty sexing adult L134 let alone one year old fish.
I consider myself lucky if I manage to sex adults correctly 70% of the time.
Well, at least that is better than a coin toss.
Males are only obvious when their hormones are raging and they are in breeding condition. That is when they show fairly obvious odontodes.
When I try to sex them I use a combination of viewing a group from above and feel. Males tend to have a "V" shape profile and females bulge about their pectoral fins and just behind.
Males will feel more bristled than females even if their spines(odontodes) are not visually obvious. This is how I chose them when I recently set up new colonies of 3 year old fish. My original breeders still haven't spawned this year. I estimate those are now close to nine years old and maybe that is about all the older they can be before they are too old to breed. I just don't know.
I don't expect my new breeding set ups to become productive this year. Maybe they will surprise me but I think it takes time for them to get settled into a new breeding tank and mine have always bred seasonally from sometime in mid February to about now then they stop sometime in September. My new groups could wait until next year or they could surprise me with a brood at any time. There is a lot of luck and knowledge necessary to breed some fish. If L134 were so easy to breed, everyone would be breeding them. Just because I had a good run for 3 years doesn't mean I will be able to do it again. I can only give it my best shot. I do not consider L134 an easy species to breed on demand. I wish for everyone who is trying the best of luck.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I understand what you mean. It took me forever just to get my bristlenose to breed. I had to grow so many out just to find a female. I had all but given up when finally - eggs!

I actually don't expect to have any leopard frogs breeding successfully, but the two that I have both have very round bellies and I'm thinking they might be females. They are still young and I don't know if they would be ready to spawn even if there was a male and proper conditions, but I'd still like to give it a try if I can get lucky enough to end up with a male one of these days. :)

Thanks again for the info.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Plecos are a perverse lot.
When they get in a groove they can be easy and prolific and at other times it seems like you are wasting your time but if you don't try you would never breed anything.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Post by bsmith »

Bump!!!

Did you and Chad work something out? He's a good guy that I have had many transactions with over at TPT and they were all good.
tudamxm
Location 2: Philadelphia, PA

Post by tudamxm »

Larry,
do you have any cory's for sale?
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I have been working on rebuilding my colony of Corydoras hastatus and have finally got about 125 of different ages. I am hoping before the end of the summer to be able to sell a few. Once I have about 200 of different ages I can sell a dozen here and there and the colony will quickly replace them.
Corydoras hastatus are the only Cory I like to raise. They do not behave nor look like other Corydoras. I think they are mimicking a type of Tetra.
I neglected them after I bumped them out of their home of 4 years to use the tank for breeding my L260's. During the disruption I got down to only about 50 C. hastatus. Last Fall I began to take better care of them and began rebuilding their numbers. They are really easy to raise when you keep them in large numbers but I began originally with only 10 specimens.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Order status.
To all who have placed a deposit to reserve L134 plecos.
It has been unusually wet and cold this spring in the PNW so I haven't been able to ship out any orders. I expect it to change to much warmer weather at most anytime and will probably begin shipping within the next two weeks.
I received an order about 10 days ago of some Tetras and even though it was sent overnight the fish were nearly all dead and the water was 56*F. I saved only 24 fish out of 85. But it has already warmed up 10*F for both the lows and highs here since then. It has been stubbornly been holding at highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's until just the past few days.
rhibear
My cats species list: 25 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Brit in Virginia USA

Post by rhibear »

Any L134s left?
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I do have more than I first thought.
I may have 36 to 50. I hope to count them now that there are many fewer to count.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I just caught and counted all my remaining salable size P. compta(L134) and found I have 64 left this morning after shipping 60 out yesterday.
I notified three customers who were on my waiting list but I don't know how many of them will follow through.

So if their are still some others who want my fish I can probably help out 3 to 6 depending on how many and how large of orders I receive.
If you want to be added to my waiting list i will keep you updated until i have no more ~12 month L134 available.

I have a much larger supply of L333. In fact, I have been sending one free 1-1/2" to 1-1/3/4" free L333 for ever six of either species ordered as an not advertised special.
L134 reach a smaller adult size of about 3-3/4".
L333 reach an adult size of between 4 and 4-1/2 inches with males tending to be the longer fish all other factors being even.
Both are nice plecos although the L333 are much easier to breed than L134's.

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”