Eight new Zaireichthys

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Eight new Zaireichthys

Post by Silurus »

Eccles, DH, D Tweddle & PH Skelton, 2011. Eight new species in the dwarf catfish genus Zaireichthys (Siluriformes: Amphiliidae). Smithiana Bulletin 13: 3–28.

Abstract

Species in the genus Zaireichthys in the amphiliid subfamily Leptoglanidinae characteristically live just above and in fine sand in flowing water. The discovery of a distinct species living in empty Lanistes and Bellamya snail shells in Lake Malawi led to a review of the southern African museum collections of the Zaireichthys, previously lumped together under the name Z. rotundiceps, resulting in several new species being recognised. In this paper, eight new species from southern Africa are described, although recent collections have revealed more new species that require further investigation, particularly in northern parts of the Zambezi system and in eastern Africa.
Zaireichthys conspicuus is a robust, boldly marked species from the edge of rapids in the Zambezi system above Victoria Falls. Zaireichthys kafuensis, Z. kavangoensis and Z. kunenensis are species apparently endemic to the rivers after which they are named and live in the more typical sandy habitats. Zaireichthys lacustris is the endemic shell-dwelling species in Lake Malawi, and Z. pallidus is a small, very pale species in the Upper Zambezi system. In rivers flowing into Lake Malawi, Z. maravensis occupies the sandy habitat, while Z. monomotapa is the most widespread of the new species, occurring through the Middle and Lower Zambezi River, east-flowing rivers to the south of the Zambezi, and at least one river flowing into Lake Malawi.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Eight new Zaireichthys

Post by MatsP »

Is this available somewhere online?

--
Mats
Bathycetopsis
Interests: SYSTEMATICS, BIODIVERSITY, NEW SPECIES

Post by Bathycetopsis »

If somebody need full PDF of this paper, i will send it by request.
Michal Miksik
miksik.michal@gmail.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I have been waiting awhile for this...

First look, this is a well done paper, pertinent information is nicely sorted, line drawings and many have a photo as well.

Birger
Birger

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”