Brown Pleco Ancistrus or Common??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fleur
Location 1: Arizona

Brown Pleco Ancistrus or Common??

Post by Fleur »

A student asked me to take in her fish recently. Her family has excessive medical bills for her grandfather, and she had to shut down her tank. I took in her orange platy and a brown plecostomus with a mottled pattern. The store said it wouldn't grow to more than 5" but she couldn't remember what species they mentioned. She told me the fish was about 3", but I was immediately suspicious when she told me how fast it had grown since she first purchased it. When she brought it to me, I saw that it was, in fact, 4" long. I suspect that it was a misidentified common pleco, but I need some more trained eyes to help. It looks like a juvenile common to me. My biggest tank is a 20L, so if it will grow larger than 6", I'll have to re-home it.

Here are the pics I have.

Thanks for your help!

--Fleur
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Brown Pleco Ancistrus or Common??

Post by MatsP »

This picture shows pretty well that it's a (aka common)

--
Mats
Fleur
Location 1: Arizona

Re: Brown Pleco Ancistrus or Common??

Post by Fleur »

Thanks for the help. I'll set my energy about trying to find a suitable home for this critter. I appreciate the ID help.

--Fleur

Return to “What is my catfish?”