"Perfect" pleco for this habitat..Any suggestions?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
wobbler
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:45)
Location 2: Norway

"Perfect" pleco for this habitat..Any suggestions?

Post by wobbler »

Hi

I am looking for the perfect pleco for this river habitat. It is a 63 gallon tank (240 liters)

Parameters:
Stone and gravel only, no plants, quite high temperature (28-29 deg C), PH 6-7, Gh 2-3.

The current is medium to high, about 1060 gallong/hour. I have 5 clay caves and 2 slate caves hidden under the stones in addition to a lot of hiding places between the stones. The light is dimmed.

Currently i have 6 adult L202 and 6 young L066 in the tank. They seems to be fine there, but no spawning on the L202 yet... However, does anyone of you have suggestions with regards to what pleco and how many that would be "perfect" in this tank? (I have other tanks that can house the l202 and L066 so I can move one or both of the groups.)

Wobbler
Attachments
IMG_2494red.JPG
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: "Perfect" pleco for this habitat..Any suggestions?

Post by vanillarum »

The first thing that comes to mind is L046. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Hypancistrus zebra together with H. sp(L066) would invite cross-breeding.

It's a bit of a tricky one - perhaps one of the smaller [i}Hemiancistrus[/i] species - for example L106 .

--
Mats
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

I agree with the possibility of cross breeding. I was under the impression that the L066s would be moved to another tank. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
wobbler
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:45)
Location 2: Norway

Post by wobbler »

I am not sure with regards to what group to be removed, I will surely not have Zebras and L066 together. But maybe add 2 more of the L066 and move the l202 group. Would this tank as is today accomodate a group of 6-8 L066? Do you recommend to change something in order to (hopefully when they are somewhat older) make the tank more suitable for breeding L066?

I also have some space to add another circulation pump. Do you recommend even more circulation than I already have? (4000 l/ h or 1060 gallon/h)

Wobbler

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”