Bristlenose breeding didn't happen?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
betta blue
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: edmonton, canada
Interests: fish, plants, cats and dogs

Bristlenose breeding didn't happen?

Post by betta blue »

Hi! Been awhile since I posted here. I put a female albino bristlenose(no whiskers) with a normal male bristlenose (whiskers). It's been close to a year and no babies. I do weekly waterchanges. Am I sucking up the eggs? Is there a chance that an albino bristlenose without whiskers could be a male or that a normal bristlenose with whiskers could be female? I thought breeding these two would be easy? and actually wanted some of their offspring for some of my other tanks. The common plec and the albino chocolate plec are in the bigger tanks but I love the bristlenoses cause they are small enough to take care of my smaller tanks. Is there something more I should know about breeding bristlenoses or am I doing something wrong. Thanks.
Shar
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Re: Bristlenose breeding didn't happen?

Post by Taratron »

Do you have caves in for the male? What else is in the tank?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Taratron wrote:Do you have caves in for the male? What else is in the tank?
Indeed. Bristlenoses are cave spawners, so require some form of tight space that they can shove themselves into. There is no way to suck up the eggs when doing a gravel siphon since the eggs will be laid in a cave.

Furthermore, other fish can eat bristlenose eggs, even with the male protecting them.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
betta blue
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: edmonton, canada
Interests: fish, plants, cats and dogs

Post by betta blue »

Thank you for your quick replies. There are no other fish in their tank. I have a castle ornament that has a tunnel through it. The albino lives a lot in that tunnel. I'm loosing track but they were one of my first fish...think that was 4 to 5 years ago. Are they too old to reproduce?

Thx,
Shar
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Shouldn't be too old, my female is about 7 years old and spawn a couple of months ago.

The cave needs to be a proper cave in the sense that it's got one entrance, and is a "dead end" - a tunnel is not what they look for in a cave. The cave also should be tight enough that the male can trap the female in there - and contrary to popular believe, the male doesn't have to fit in there at the same time. A piece of 1.25"/32mm or 1.5"/40mm plastic (water/waste) pipe with an end-cap fitted will do absolutely fine. A drilled out piece of wood or pieces of slate in a rectangular shape also works.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”