Acrylic Tanks ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
zebra1
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Arizona

Acrylic Tanks ?

Post by zebra1 »

Is it OK to keep Hypans. in an acrylic tank with out scratching or damage to the plexiglass? I am thinking of possibly L046 or L134.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Acrylic Tanks ?

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,

it is possible, but you will have to live with some scratches. Getting more by time.
But Hypancitrus aren´t that bad.
Daniel
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Re: Acrylic Tanks ?

Post by plecomanpat »

Good morning, personally I dont see a problem having hypans in an acrylic as they are primarily carnivores. The only time I've ever noticed any of my hypans on the glass is during times of stress i.e acclimation,heavy water changes,re-arranging driftwood during spring clean. As for scratching of the acrylic, I think that its inevitable. I'm not sure if possibly a large "panaque" could gnarl shards of the acrylic leading to possible blockage in its digestive system and/or worse.The amount of light and phosphates due to over-feeding will play a large factor in algae growth. The only tank the lights are on all day is my 180 gal show tank for it is heavily planted,as for the other 16 the lights only come on for feeding, observation and maintenence. These tanks have almost zero algae growth hence clean glass. Hope this helps just relating what works for me. :YMPEACE:
Lets go Red Wings

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”