a "?" about alkalinity

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Baba1969
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Cape Cod, MA; USA

a "?" about alkalinity

Post by Baba1969 »

I KNOW this is quite basic, but still I need some help on how to raise the total alkalinity in my 10 gallon community freshwater tank. I have three Cory aneaus', three Cory pandas and ONE male Betta plakat. All tests seem fine with the exception of the "alkalinity" (or Buffering Capacity) which should be no lower than 120ppm, yet it's testing at only 80ppm. (I should note that I have NEVER been able to get the alkalinity to maintain a level over 80ppm in the last three years of my aquarium hobby.)

How do I go about increasing (and MAINTAINING) this to 120ppm???

I'd REALLY appreciate any help you can give.
-Baba
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Re: a "?" about alkalinity

Post by racoll »

alkalinity" (or Buffering Capacity) which should be no lower than 120ppm, yet it's testing at only 80ppm.

Where did you read that?

As long as the pH is stable through your water change cycles, there shouldn't be a problem.

80ppm is plenty of buffering, provided you regularly replace depleted alkalinity with frequent water changes.
Baba1969
Location 2: Cape Cod, MA; USA

Post by Baba1969 »

Yes, I do a 50% water change about once per week and I vacuum up as much solid debris about every other day. Plus, I get a lot of assistance in "cleaning" the glass and everything else in the water from three mystery snails. I am using TWO sponge filters and they get a good wringing out each week along with the water changes.
So, you think that a reading of 80ppm is fine then?
I havent seemed to have any problems SO FAR.

I dont know where I read that the tank should be at or slightly above 120ppm. Somewhere..... (?)

Thanks for your help........and I see you're living in Christchurch, NZ. I have a friend who left the States and is living there with her husband and thier 2 kids. She works in the library there. Happily, she and her family are alive and well after the latest earthquake. #:-S
How have you fared??? I hope you are very well there, and know that somewhere in the U.S., a "fishy friend" is thinking of you and hoping all is well there (ie: NO MORE EARTHQUAKES!) :-BD

-Baba
racoll

Post by racoll »

So, you think that a reading of 80ppm is fine then?
There's no black or white answer. It depends on the stability of the pH. If your pH is somewhere between about 6.2 and 7.8, and most importantly stable throughout the week, 80ppm will be fine.
I hope you are very well there, and know that somewhere in the U.S., a "fishy friend" is thinking of you and hoping all is well there (ie: NO MORE EARTHQUAKES!)
Amen to that. Novelty has officially worn off! I was lucky as our neighbourhood, although really close to the now destroyed CBD, was almost entirely unaffected in any serious way.
racoll

Post by racoll »

Oh, and here is some more reading on water chemistry stuff.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=332
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Baba1969 wrote:how to raise the total alkalinity in my 10 gallon community freshwater tank.
Add bicarbonate. Commercial buffers will work too.
All tests seem fine with the exception of the "alkalinity"
Then I would suggest not messing with it. Alkalinity is important for keeping pH steady, and bicarbonate is harmless and very difficult to overdose, but it's always better to leave water chemistry alone unless you absolutely have to.

FWIW, and contrary to the impression you may get from books and aquarium websites, freshwater fish are not particularly sensitive to water parameters, and will do equally fine under a wide range of conditions.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --

Return to “Tank Talk”