My River Tank Project

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
wobbler
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:45)
Location 2: Norway

My River Tank Project

Post by wobbler »

I am currently working on a new project in my Juwel Rio 240 tank.

The setup will be a river with medium to strong current, Gh guite low, Temperature quite high (28-29 deg C or 82,4 - 84,2 deg F)and pH around 6,5- 7,0. Like the upper parts of for example Rio Orinoco. Fortunately the water in my local area is quite close to this (exept from the temperature that is around 0 deg C or 32 deg F this time of year...). I have used some time collecting nice naturally grinded "redish" sandstone and gravel from a nearby river. Currently I am in the process of cutting stones and planning the setup based on the stones availiable. My intention is to use stones from this local Norwegian river only to make a nice living environment for some Rio Orinoco catfishes...
The integrated pump was removed yesterday. it was a nightmare to cut the original pump out of the tank as it was fastened very closely to the glas...The original pump will replaced by an Eheim 2028 external filter together with one powerfull powerhead with diffusors to add enough current and oxygen to accomodate the fish in a good way. I assume that 3000-3500 liters of water will circulate each hour when the tank is operative.

The rear of the tank has been painted black.

I have made a tank "model" in my garage and are now working to find a nice configuration of the background. Added some pics so that you can see how it looks today.I will also include integrated caves in the background in addition to caves at the tank bottom. Anyone that have comments or suggestions to the current setup?
Attachments
IMG_2181red.JPG
IMG_2177red.JPG
current background setup. The stones are more red than it looks due to dust after cutting.
current background setup. The stones are more red than it looks due to dust after cutting.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: My River Tank Project

Post by Shane »

This will be a beautiful tank once up and running. My only suggestion would be to try to match the stones you will use on the substrate with those across the background. The current background stones are thin, elongate and slightly angled which gives a nice, natural effect. I would select stones for the substrate that are similar in shape (instead of rounded as they are in the above photos) and size and angle them into the substrate at the same slight angle as the background stones.
I hope that explanation makes sense.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Sure it makes sense. I didnt put to much effort in organizing the other stones, was to focused on working on my background. I will definately do as you suggest. Thank you!

Wobbler
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

The latest stone formation was fastened today. :d . The rest of the week will be used to add gravel stones and finally WATER!
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

First setup, it may change somewhat. Any comment or suggested improvements will be appreciated. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic but the water is somewhat filled by bobles as i am also testing my diffusor. The fish you see are Mosquito tetras. I also have 6 off small L066 King Tiger Plecos in this tank. Six adult L202 will also live here as soon as i have concluded on the setup.

Wobbler
Attachments
IMG_2304red.JPG
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

More or less finished with my project. ^:)^
Attachments
IMG_2305red.JPG
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Very nice. Now we need closeups of the inhabitants. :D
Bahri48
Location 2: Turkey/Muğla/Fethiye

Post by Bahri48 »

Hi there :)

This is my first reply to tjis forum and I really liked your set up ! The stone work on especially right hend side looks a bit unnatural but a great set up in general.

Congratulation ;)
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Looks fantastic!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Dee
My cats species list: 10 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Edinburgh
Interests: Falconry, owl keeping, conures, parrot keeping, guinea pigs, photography, sci-fi, b-movies, music (metal and industrial mainly but pretty eclectic), gaming

Post by Dee »

What an incredible looking tank! Makes me wish I was handy with this sort of thing.
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Thank you!

It was quite a lot of work, in particular all cutting of stones, but I enjoyed every every hour of it.

Wobbler
Attachments
IMG_2380red.JPG
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice, Wobbler. I've read all but did not get it how the stones are fastened to the back and side walls of the tank or did you not even touch on that?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Hi Victor

I used black aquarium silicone. The bacground was not so difficult as i just posisioned the emty tank on its "back" so i could work with the glas horizontal and raise it again after about 24 hours. For the side walls i first fastened the stones together and a then put them on the sidewalls using heavy books and tape to keep them in position as as the silicone cured. see pics attached.
Attachments
IMG_2243red.JPG
IMG_2237red.JPG
IMG_2247red.JPG
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice. Resourceful and delightfully thorough you are. But it is the stones at the back that boggle me: they appear to be wide (front to back) but the attachment area appears narrow which means they should break off the wall easily. Silicone usually does not glue things together but acts as a permanently flexible filler. It is a very weak glue. So, I remain puzzled for now :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

If you gonna glue really loadbearing stuff i would not use silicone. But, for this use it is ok. The stones are well fastened with the silicone, and I used force on the thin bacground stones after curing of the silicone to verify if they were fastened good enough. No problem.

The only important thing is to make sure that all surfaces are clean with no dust an that they are defatted. I used denaturated alcohol for washing both glas and stone in those areas where i planned to add silicone.
b-)
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I see. About the biggest stone/most risky piece:
-- how much did it weigh,
-- how long was it,
-- how wide, front-to-back, was it ,
-- how thick was it,
-- what was the contact area between the rock and the glass (that is, if it was different from the math product of the 2nd answer (above) times the 4th answer)?

Just trying to learn for myself.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Dan*
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Netherlands Rotterdam

Post by Dan* »

Looks nice :-BD
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Thanks Dan, your tank was really nice

Wobbler
har_eh
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 2: Antwerp, Belgium

Post by har_eh »

awesome set up, what's the material called you glued the stones to?
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

har-eh

I used black aquarium silicone.

Wobbler
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Prepared some caves and added them to the tank today. Standard pleco caves bought in my local shop. Added lots of silicone all over and rolled them in the same gravel as i have in my tank. The "camouflage" turned out to be ok. 6 caves today, will add two more soon. Total 8 caves in addition to all places to hide under and between all stones.

Wobbler
Attachments
IMG_2405red.JPG
IMG_2404red.JPG
IMG_2403red.JPG
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

That is a great looking tank! I really like the way you did the background. I am going to try my hand at something like that. Thanks for sharing.
Leopardfrogplec
Location 2: Sandhurst
Interests: Catfishkeeping, reading, killing-virtual-people-in-random-waysing, definitely not SATS.

Post by Leopardfrogplec »

Is your setup supposed to replicate any particular river or is it just a natural community? (You know what I mean. smile1)
There should be a GCSE for catfish. Or a SATs paper, which is closer to me. At least we don't have to do Science.
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

It is a "general" river habitat, or natural community. A part of the project was to only use stones and gravel from a nearby river here in Norway and we have no tropical catfish in our rivers...(-15 deg C outside now..). So it is actually a cold Norwegian river converted to tropical water temperatures and tropical catfish :d .

However, this kind of river habitat is to be found in the upper areas of Amazonas ( ie upper River Orinoco). Stone and gravel only, no plants, medium to strong current, quite high temperature (28-29 deg C), PH 6-7, Gh guite low.

The water parameters here are the same as for many South American rivers except for the temperature. So I am in no need of adding chemicals to achieve acceptable water parameters.

Wobbler
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Here are some pics of the final result. :YMPEACE:
Attachments
IMG_2537red.JPG
IMG_2500red.JPG
IMG_2494red.JPG
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

Two more.

Wobbler
Attachments
IMG_2542red.JPG
IMG_2544red.JPG
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Looks great. Will you be lighting it that brightly when it's stocked? Seems to me some strategically placed LED's would give it a more realistic shadow effect.
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Post by exasperatus2002 »

Beautiful set up. Very well thought out. What particular species have you choosen to keep in it?
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

I have 6 adult Peckoltia lineola L202 and 6 young Hypancistrus sp. L066 (King Tiger Pleco)

I also have some Boehlkea fredcochui, also called Cochu's Blue Tetra.

Wobbler
wobbler

Post by wobbler »

The tank is actually quite dark, did not use flash on my camera so shutter time were very long. Using reflectors the " wrong" way so that the light is reflected up.

I have been looking around for some LED light for my tank but have not found any suitable yet. Any suggestions?

Wobbler

Return to “Tank Talk”