Question about Hoplo and Banjo Catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Starsplitter7
Location 2: Tampa, Florida

Question about Hoplo and Banjo Catfish

Post by Starsplitter7 »

I am setting up a mixed catfish tank for a show and the catfish will live together from now until the end of February at a public exhibit. Then they will be back to their regular tanks. I want to show how cool and different catfish can be so there's a wide variety of fish.

To add interest I want to add fancy snails like horned nerites and zebra nerites. I also would like to have crystal shrimp which are about 1/2-3/4" in length. I am not too worried about the snails, but I am worried about the shrimp specifically with the Banjos and Hoplo (although I imagine with the Hoplo's small size, I should be okay for three weeks). Do you think I am safe with these fish and the small shrimp? Thank you.

C. sterbai (Sterbai Cory)
C. pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory)
A. adonis (3" Adonis Catfish)
Ancistrus (Bristlenose 3" female and 4" male mated pair)
Megalechis thoracata -- Hoplo Cat (1.5" -- not sure of the species)
Glass Cats (2.5" -- may be taken out, because they are showing signs of stress)
Rineloricaria sp. (Red Lizard Catfish 2.5")
L-102 Peckoltia sp. (Snowball Plecostomus 3")
Peckoltia sp. (2.5")
Otociclus
Dysichthys sp. (Banjo Catfish 3")
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Question about Hoplo and Banjo Catfish

Post by Richard B »

Hmmmm - interesting

Obviously the tank will need to be appropriately sized and water and filters will need to be mature already, but in theory this shouldn't be a problrm in the short term. I would have thought that if you wanted a nice display it would be good to set up a week in advance of anyone seeing it so a period of "settling" could be achieved & everything monitored to ensure no unexpected occurances.

Banjos will eat shrimps so this might be an issue. Could you put the shrimps in a tank-in-tank set-up?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Starsplitter7

Post by Starsplitter7 »

Thank you so much for your reply. I just wanted to double check about the Banjos. It is so easy to underestimate the Banjos, since they are so laid back. You don't think the Hoplo at 1.5" would cause a problem with the shrimp? I may not include the Banjos in that case. I definitely want the Hoplo because he is so active and pretty.

Almost all of the fish are juveniles and will return to their regular tanks at the end of the show.

The tank I am using has been set up for two years with two large filters -- one of which has been in use for a year and is well cycled. The second filter has been running on the tank for about a month. And I included a bubbler, but it is more for aesthetic purposes. All the decor has been in tanks for a few months. The sand is a year old, so it has a colony of nitrifing bacteria too.

I have set up the tank with its current occupants for a week, and I will be setting up the tank for the show on the 5th, and they will be on display for the public starting the 11th. I am hoping the tank will settle down during those days.
atharrison21
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Charleston, SC, United States

Post by atharrison21 »

The banjos are always a good edition though. Have you considered Atyopsis shrimp species?(specifically Atyopsis moluccensis) theyre colorful and too large for a normal banjo (Bunocephalus/Dysichthys) to eat.
Starsplitter7

Post by Starsplitter7 »

That is an interesting idea. I have three "Flower" shrimp, and I am very fond of them. My only concern is that I wonder if they would get enough to eat over the 2 week period they are at the show. I spot feed mine if they look like they may not be getting enough to eat from the water column.

I do have three wonderful Banjos, and I would love for people to see them. I think they are frequently overlooked.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”