New Sterbai problem

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ErikO
Location 2: Kailua, HI

New Sterbai problem

Post by ErikO »

I had some Sterbai shipped to me two weeks ago. One had a short or damaged tail. It now has what looks like mold or a fungus around it's anal area. Any ideas?

Sorry, I haven't checked my water in over 10 years. I've got really good water here.It's soft and has a low Ph. I have 13 Sterbai, 2 platys/mollies that I can't catch and a Clown Pleco in a 40 gal. planted tank. I'm running a Ehiem 2227 and a AC 50 on it. As the fish are new I've probably been over feeding so I've been doing 30% to 50% water changes several times a week. Temp. is at 80F. Substrate is ~ 3/4" of sand blasting sand.

I have a 10 gal. set up as a QT tank. Should I put it in there and risk the additional stress on the sick individual due to it's removal from the rest of the fish? My main concern is obviously the rest of the fish.

Any input would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik
Th
ErikO

Re: New Sterbai problem

Post by ErikO »

Update. I'm haveing a hard time with the edit. Got lucky and caught the ill fish and moved it to the QT tank. It looks like the tail is disolving. Raised the temp. on both tanks.
Vlacek
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Czech rep.

Post by Vlacek »

I can only share my experience with pandas but should be similar. Removing one or two fish from shoal has always stressed them and my only panda loss was the one which was left alone in QT tank for few days. I put it there because of the same reason you've done - to let it recover from stressful transport (lost part of the tail and looked dizzy). All the others who were left in a shoal and were in similar condition made it.
If your one seems to be getting better, my vote would be to move it back to it's fellows soon.
ErikO

Post by ErikO »

Thanks Vlacek. It went quick.
juree
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Latvia,Riga
Location 2: Latvia,Riga
Interests: private curency trader

Post by juree »

Hi.
I've 9+9 cory Sterbai and one of a new adding group is with short tale fin-without tale fin.Its more than 10days past and it still havent normal tale fins! Did they grows back as a new one !?
In first group i've 6females and three males.They spawning time to time...Female hold 3-5eggs between anal fins and swiming around in safety place searching.
Its comunity tank and allways all ends without lucky survivors....
p.s. neons,rammynose,silver scalares.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whether the tail-fin grows back or not depends on whether it is scarred or not - if the damage is presistant (e.g. something is biting the fins every time it grows back out, then the tissue eventually scars, and doesn't recover). If the damage is temporary, and the cause removed, then the tail should grow back over a period of time. I think the time to grow out is more like several days or even weeks, rather than a few days, depending on the type of damage.

--
Mats
juree

Post by juree »

And...
My tank is medium planted/pteropus latifolia,cryptocarine,anubias.
As i remember cory catfish are fun and always swim around a tank BUT this time they all day sit in 'jungle' and come out only when Hikari start smell! I add more 9 cory sterbai but little cory learns from adults and hide all day too !
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Corys aren't that keen on lots of light, and tend to be quite shy when they first arrive in a tank. Once settled, they do swim about a fair bit - but it depends on the individual fish and the tank setup.

--
Mats
juree

Post by juree »

No one have so dark tank as mine!Ceiling halogens shoot as possible to open feeding holes!Try to load pics.
Thanks to Japan Hikari i see my cats every evening.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”