Ancistrus Menopause?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

Ancistrus Menopause?

Post by alvin »

Hi

I have an established breeding pair of white spot ancistrus that have been giving me regular spawns every month or two, for the last 2-3 years. I would approximate their age to be 5 yrs+.

They usually spawn with little or no effort on my part. But now even with ultra conditioning and rigid water parameters and water changes, they dont seem interested. They have not spawned in 8 months now. The water parameters have not changed and all efforts to get them to spawn is to no avail. They appear to be in good health as there are no visible signs of disease and they are eating well.

Does there come a time when they stop spawning after a certain age much like menopause or do they just start spawning at longer intervals in between??
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Ancistrus Menopause?

Post by MatsP »

My female is well into her sixth year by now, probably over 7, and the latest batch of babies just turned up at the top of the tank. So I suspect your fish aren't "done" spawning.

Are there other bristlenoses in the tank? I have noticed that if you have enough fish in the tank, they stop spawning.
What is the temperature in the tank? Higher temperatures can also stop spawning.

--
Mats
alvin

Post by alvin »

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the info MatsP.

They are the only ones in the tank. The temperature as not changed, 26-27 deg celcius. I will just have to be patient.

Will cave size be a factor? I havent changed the cave in the last 2 years and even when I offered the male a bigger cave he still occupies the old cave.

Thanks again
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't think cave size is that important. I suspect temperature may be more important. Try getting it a couple of degrees lower - 23-25 degrees would be fine, good food, large & cool water change, and I think you'll have fry.

--
Mats
alvin

Post by alvin »

I will lower the temp, MatsP.

Thanks again for the useful advice.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”