Greetings!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bibbs68
Location 2: Tennessee

Greetings!

Post by bibbs68 »

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself to the group. My affair with catfish began about 4 years ago when I received three wild caught syno. petricola along with 32 Mbuna for my 75g aquarium. I fell in love the minute they started swimming around. Granted, for quite some time they stayed hidden but as the months went on they came out more often. Sadly, due to a faulty filter pad, I lost them recently. :((

I have plans to construct a low-height aquarium just for displaying cats and hope to be able to get more petricola for it. Well, that's about it for now, now for some poking around on this great site! :)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Greetings!

Post by MatsP »

Welcome to Planet Catfish. Out of 9 current tanks, only 2 are taller than the width (back to front), and one is the same height and width. Remaining tanks are at least a little bit lower height than the width. So, good plan, in my mind...

It is probably a whole lot easier to find sold as S. petricola than to find true . I know it's a bit rude to, in your first thread on this forum, suggest you had a different fish than what you say it was, but I'm pretty sure that the more common S. lucipinnis wasn't even given it's scientific name when you got your fish, so they would have definitely been called S. petricola. S. lucipinnis was described late 2006. It's still rare to see fish called S. lucipinnis on exporters lists or shop labels, when that is what the fish is.

--
Mats
bibbs68

Post by bibbs68 »

Hi Mats and thanks for the welcome.

You could be right about the Petricolas I had, I dunno. They came from a reputable breeder who makes frequent collecting trips, which I assume is why they were sold as 'wild caught'. However, now that they are gone, I have no way to know for sure. :(

Sadly, my current 75g Mbuna tank is having issues, well the fish are, so depending on how that turns out, meaning a tank full of dead fish, I may be closer to a cat tank. ~X(
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

Hello and welcome to Planetcatfish :-BD
Sorry to hear about your losses,hope everything will turn out alright at the end.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Let's hope it can be sorted...

And I would like to point out that the S. petricola and S. lucipinnis is a relatively new "problem", so I'm sure the importer may well not have considered the fish as two different species. I have seen a tank in shops here, last year, with a label saying "Wild caught Petricola", which contained at least two different species. So these fish aren't always identified correctly.

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

:d welcome to PC.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
bibbs68

Post by bibbs68 »

Thanks again all for the warm welcome. :)

Hopefully I'll get my Mbuna back to healthy and then I can start to look at making a cat tank...and perhaps get a shoal of "Petripinnis" :d

***Well, I got home tonight to find two more victims, two yello labs. :(
bibbs68

Post by bibbs68 »

Well the crisis with my aquarium seems to be over, however I am now left with just four Mbuna. After this fiasco, taking on another tank right now may not be in my best interest. :-S

Return to “Speak Easy”