Experience... ocillifer & eupterus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
davekuhn77
Interests: Environmental Engineer Ph.D., Aquaculturist

Experience... ocillifer & eupterus

Post by davekuhn77 »

I have had great success with 2 ocellifers and 2 eupterus's in a 30 gallon long tank. I have many rock and drift wood caves for them. They get a long great! They can all hang out in the same cave if they choose to. 3 of them are aprox. 4 inches in length.... This is successful due to the high water quality and lots of aeration. I also have many other fish that are not bottom dwellers.....

The eupterus's, surprisingly come out frequently in the light. However, the Ocellifers do not. Even though they (the ocillifers) are the "eaters" and will do anything for food, including eating out of my hand.

Has anyone used any lights that sucessfully make some of these syno's feel comfortable to swim around so "we" can see them? Moonlight or blacklight? I would like to keep them with a normal light during the day, but in the evening it would be nice to see them swimming about....

Any suggestions???

Thanks!
Environmental Engineer, Ph.D Candidate
Aquaculturist
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

Do a search for Blue Moon Tubes.
Creates moonlight effects for the viewing of nocturnal fish like catfish. It also enhances the blues in living corals and marine fish.
davekuhn77

Post by davekuhn77 »

I will look into that.... thanks!
Aquaculturist
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

I use red Incadescants alot. It illumintates the tank somewhat and I can watch them from a slight distance. Mine tend to come out during the day and beg for food anyways though.
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

red light

Post by oneoddfish »

I've used red light (a red plastic tube that slide's over regulal flo. bulb) for quite some time with preety good result's. I turn it on at night when i want to watch my tank..It doesn't seem to bother any of my nocturnal fish the act just like all light's are off.This is also how i find bullies that only come out at night..
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

I've tried red bulbs as well as black light to enable me to see more of my Synodontis and Microsynodontis. Both worked well - You could see the fish swimming around as if the light was off, but unfortunately the algae seemed to enjoy it immensely as well.
plesner
davekuhn77

Post by davekuhn77 »

I will have to go shopping for either a blacklight or red tube light.

Yesterday, I fed them live brine shrimp and they gobbled them up so fast. If you haven't fed your Syno's live food it is a pleasure to watch...
Aquaculturist
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Dave,
I certainly hope that you are aware that your tank is already grossly overstocked...
(Given your sig. file after all)

...and you've got plans for a larger tank soon I hope!?

I wasn't going to post on this topic, however I noticed your post "Cichlids & Synos" immediately following.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
davekuhn77

Post by davekuhn77 »

Paul.... see my post in c*****ds & Synos...
Aquaculturist
Gandalfdgrey
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Malta
Interests: Cichlids and Catfish

Post by Gandalfdgrey »

Hi there,
this is my first post here.

Try this website http://www.thesea.org

Under the diy projects there is one of lighting system using blue LEDs. This is very cost effective, and the wavelength of the light is the 'same' as that of moonlight.

Hope that this helps

Return to “African Catfishes”