Bronze Corydoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

Bronze Corydoras

Post by MichaelC95 »

Hey again I know I have asked this question before but this is to make sure this sounds like it would work. First off I am setting up a 20 US gallon Long aquarium for about 7-8 bronze corydoras (4M-3F or 5M-3F) tank will have no gravel power filter (just for keeping tank clean), pvc, some java moss, anubias, and possibly a caves. I was wondering what the parameters should be so, if you know or if there needs to be a certain Gh ( don't know how to get) also I don't have an easy way to get R/O water. Any help will be appreciated. :-BD
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Re: Bronze Corydoras

Post by racoll »

MichealC95 wrote:tank will have no gravel power filter
Not sure whether you missed a comma here or not, but you definitely need a sand substrate in a tank. Just a centimetre is perfect, and very easy to keep clean. They love digging in the sand - it's what they do. It just isn't fair to deprive them of this.

These Corydoras are captive bred and will be just fine in almost any dechlorinated tapwater. Post your values if you suspect where you live has quite extreme water.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

, the Bronze Cory, is pretty tolerant to hardness, so I don't see any reason to use RO water for keeping or breeding - RO or otherwise deminerilized water is the only reasonable way to LOWER the hardness (or other mineral content) compared to tap-water. But nearly all fish that is commonly available in shops is fine with whatever comes out of the tap in nearly all places.

However, I would definitely recommend that if you want to keep corys, that you have a sand substrate in your tank. This is their natural habitat (or mud, but that gets very messy in an aquarium).

--
Mats
MichaelC95

Post by MichaelC95 »

Yeah I was wondering wether i should use sand because some people think I shoulnd't us it. But yeah anymore info would be helpful, also would elegans cories be easier or harder to breed. Thanks.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

People who say that you shouldn't have sand in a cory tank shouldn't be allowed near corys.

--
Mats
MichaelC95

Post by MichaelC95 »

Haha :))

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”