What to get for Christmas?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Harry94
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: South East England

What to get for Christmas?

Post by Harry94 »

For my Christmas present this year I am allowed to get a/some new catfish. At the moment I have 2 , a , a and 5 very old . I've thought about either Banjos, or a Sturisoma or Farlowella. However, I'd quite like to get something quite lively (most of the fish are not very active), but wasn't sure what to get, preferably South American, that would fit in with the current tankmates. The tank is around a metre long and has a pH of between 5 and 6, and is semi planted with 2 large pieces of bogwood.

Please could someone reccomend a suitable fish?

Thanks for your help,
Harry
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: What to get for Christmas?

Post by L number Banana »

Lucky you!

My most active fish are . Always busy all the time and they didn't bother my other fish. I also have farlowella, P, maccus, L401 and corys.

I don't know how big your tank is so a fish that gets 5 inches may be the wrong size. If they have swimming room they're quite a wonderful fish. They can be hand fed as well - look up the Latin name on youtube!

I guess it's also good to check out the temps for this fish to make sure it matches with your others.

Good luck finding the right present!
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
avianwing
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bangalore, India
Location 2: Bangalore, India

Post by avianwing »

I am just curious to know how old your Cories are?? My cories never seem to live very long in my planted tank with laterite substrate; and i am not able to discern the cause.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

avianwing wrote:I am just curious to know how old your Cories are?? My cories never seem to live very long in my planted tank with laterite substrate; and i am not able to discern the cause.
It's the substrate, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but laterite is rather coarse - that is, the Corydoras will hurt their barbels and get infected

So what to hope for for Chrismas: A few bags of sand - rounded sand, that is - and a day of in order to change your substrate
cats have whiskers
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Have you considered dianema? roughly speaking, about halfway between a cory & a hoplo - the flagtail is very attractive.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
avianwing
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bangalore, India
Location 2: Bangalore, India

Post by avianwing »

Bas Pels wrote:
It's the substrate, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but laterite is rather coarse - that is, the Corydoras will hurt their barbels and get infected

So what to hope for for Chrismas: A few bags of sand - rounded sand, that is - and a day of in order to change your substrate
Don't want to digress from the topic but this will give an idea about my substrate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22723555@N07/5233435557/

I also thought that the substrate could be a reason or may be the water chemistry but considering my cardinals were doing well i thought the latter was not a big factor.
Harry94
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: South East England

Post by Harry94 »

I've thought about Dianema - lovely fish - but I haven't seen them in my area before. Maybe the LFS could order some in for me. My Corys are kept in a semi-planted tank on sand, and ive had some of them for at least 3 years, and they were nearly fully grown when i got them. I think I'll ask the LFS to order in some Dianema (probably unostriatum), or failing that some hoplos.

Thanks!
Harry

Return to “Tank Talk”