Paddlefish for sale

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
Moontanman
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: South Eastern NC
Location 2: USA
Interests: Collecting freshwater and salt water fish, scuba diving, surf fishing, lots of small fish in big aquariums

Paddlefish for sale

Post by Moontanman »

Ok guys! Big opportunity for anyone who has a desire for paddlefish! The guy i got mine from has some available for shipping. This is a very unusual opportunity, he has several "dinks" left over out of his usual crop of fish and is going to sell them. They have 3 to 5 inch dinks, $30 dollars each I'm not sure what shipping will be but he is willing to ship them second day. They are relatively easy to keep if you have a large aquarium. Contact me at Moontanman@yahoo.com for pertinent info if you want one of these fish. video of these fish can be seen on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5vYg0CeEH4[/youtube]

These fish are true dwarfs, left over after the normal big fish have been sold. So far long term captives are less than 10" long. I have six dinks, they are great fish, they look like across between a swa fish and a sword fish, they are primitive fish, predating telost fish, no bones like a shark. they eat floating pellets.
I grow swamp trees like bald cypress and water tupelo in aquariums similar to bonsai
Michael Hissom
bovsbaitboxes
Location 2: Neptune NJ

Re: Paddlefish for sale

Post by bovsbaitboxes »

any info on water type (hardness temp ect.) how much would shipping be to 07753 also do they do good alone or should they be bought in pairs thanks John
kruseman
My images: 11
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: the Netherlands
Interests: fish, speedskating, classical music,

Post by kruseman »

I dont consider Polyodon as suitable aquariumfish. They grow to about 5 feet, swim constantly but are not that manoeuvrable.
What do you think is a "large aquarium". The size of a swimmingpool? Because that is what you need to keep this beautifull species properly.
“Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.”
knifegill
Location 1: Wa
Location 2: wa

Post by knifegill »

Usually that is true, but these are the runts. These specimens are not likely to reach good sizes or live as long. Think about kittens. When you raise the runt out to adulthood, they always stay tiny. Sure, three feet of paddlefish is nothing to sneeze at, but anybody with a decent 4' by 4' footprint could likely do well for quite awhile or for the life of the fish for one of these. Also note the amazing price. Why are they so cheap? They are the runts, practically culls but for aquarist demand they live.
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

putting a 3 feet fish in a 4x4 feet tank is not fishkeeping at all
the fact that it's an active swimmers makes it worse

in the 'Big Cats sticky' it is all explained in clear language; the bare minimum is 3-4x the length of the fish in tank length; 1.5-2x the fish length in tank width and 1-1.5x the fish length in height.

the site promotes this as a responsible, but still bare minimum way to keep a big catfish.
and what goes for a big catfish, should go for a big non catfish especially if the species of fish (cat or non-cat) is an active swimmer

regardless of it being a runt or not, heck even a 3 feet Lophiosilurus (wich is the laziest of the big cats, not an active swimmer at all) should not be kept in a 4x4 feet tank at all.

it is NOT fishkeeping;
what it IS is cruelty to animals

now

you can ask yourself:

is this a site wich promotes responsible fishkeeping?

or

Is this a site wich promotes or tolerates cruelty to animals?
hm?
Valar Morghulis
knifegill
Location 1: Wa
Location 2: wa

Post by knifegill »

I'm sorry to have left room for assumptions in my post. No sane person would put a three-foot fish in a four-foot tank. But a one-foot paddlefish that grows slower than my bank account would have plenty of fun in a 4x4 tank with some good current to play in. Yes, it might eventually outgrow the tank and require an upgrade. I doubt anybody with the guts to take on a paddlefish would be unwilling to buy a nice pool for it if it ever outgrew its home. And it's not too difficult to build a 12x12 pond. If it ever needed it. There is a chance these paddles will never even make it to sexual maturity and nobody can tell when they will stop growing, even in the most pristine care available. Again, let's not assume anything. The facts are the facts. Let's try to remember that.

Remember what happens when you assume.

This is a site ("wich?" Really?) which should promote providing the absolute best care, planning and treatment of any creature. And this creature's care, let's face it, is an absolutely undefined circumstance when it comes to tank size. What if it stops growing at two feet? Suddenly that 4x4 tank is only slightly unsatisfactory instead of ludicrous. We've got uncontrolled variables here, so assumptions just won't cut it.

No, a person incapable of setting up a good-sized body of water for it shouldn't buy it. Agreed. And we should be prepared for the eventuality that one of these runts decides to break all the expectations and achieve full size. It's just the "probably" that typically wins out, and these are probably not going to get that huge.

That said, I can't wait to see these sell to good owners! Best of luck with the sale.
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

knifegill wrote: ("wich?" Really?)
It's not that hard to mock a non native writer for making a spelling mistake.
But please bear in mind this person is able to add a picture, unlike yourself. I don't think anyone mocked you for that?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

hehe

Marc, I saw this coming a from mile or more. by now it's becoming a cliche.
there is a certain type of personality that goes for personal attacks (it's the smear tactics) when the argument cannot be won on facts or knowledge

it's the old "kill the messenger" method, when the messenge itself it not what one wants to hear.
really old skool.

it is also very typical and usual behaviour in discusions with persons from "a certain area", so to speak

seen it a million times before. because dissent or "political incorrectness" is not accepted.

when loosing the discussion because of reality, always attack the other person omn anything that diverses the attention away from the already lost argument.

it's called spinning the discussions. or Rovian tactics.

the fact still stands that Paddlefish -runts or no- are completely unsuitable for the aquarium hobby and the only sensible way of keeping them in captivity is either in a huge pond (not ideal, because ponds lack current!) or in a zoo tank.

concluding that; it makes it quite useless to advert them here. because not a single person on this forum can keep one as it should be kept
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Thanks for keeping the replies civil. I am watching this thread, let's keep it that way please?

It's amazing that it has adapted to not be a filter feeder, I wonder if this is connected to being a runt.

Outside of that these things live 50 years (source: Paddlefish study project), so you're not just going to need a huge amount of water, but you're going to need to run it for 30+ years. With all the facts added up, I can think of a lot of fishes more ethical to keep.

Jools
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Jools wrote:It's amazing that it has adapted to not be a filter feeder, I wonder if this is connected to being a runt.
I think paddlefish are generally farmed on a general salmon/trout pellet, so I don't think that nutrition is related.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, as I couldn't see how you could farm them on their natural diet.

Jools
Uncle.Ned
I've donated: $100.00!
Location 2: Millis, MA USA

Post by Uncle.Ned »

I suggest a koi pond
Ned Bowers
Uncle Ned's Fish Factory, Inc.
(Rte. 109) Millis, MA 02054 USA
store phone: 508 533 5969
http://www.unclenedsfishfactory.com/
email: cichfish@aol.com
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)
liskhomes
Location 1: St Louis, Missouri USA
Location 2: Kentucky USA

Post by liskhomes »

A friend of mine in Kentucky (also a retired Aquaculture Professor) spawns and raises Paddlefish every year. Fish have often been sold/used/distributed for research purposes. When he has "surplus stock" -- and he always does -- he sells at very reasonable prices to fish farmers, pond owners, and others who have interest in this species.

These Paddlefish are very healthy feed-trained juveniles that are approximately 8"-12" in length. A typical pond owner purchase is 25+ fish at $10 each. If this is of interest to readers, you may communicate to me and I will attempt to assist. USA buyers will need to drive to the fish rearing laboratory in Kentucky to pick up their fish, -or- another possibility may be to hire aquatic live delivery transport contractor.

If I may be permitted... my operation is near St Louis, and one of our aquaculture specialties is raising advanced size game fish fingerlings for sale to fish farmers, lake and pond owners... and at prices only slightly higher than many pay for the 1.5" to 2" stockers. For one example in 2015, we are selling feed-trained , 4"-6" and 6"-8" Largemouth Bass Fingerlings, starting at $1.50 and $2.00 respectively. If one has an established pond or lake, it's senseless to re-stock and rejuvenate with 2" fingerlings... vast majority will be lost to predation. Last Note -> Our prices to "fish farmers" are little lower, but in fairness they are usually buying several thousand fish at a time.

I hope something I posted here will be useful or beneficial.

Michael Lisk
St Louis Fish Company
(636) 530-1735
liskhomes

Post by liskhomes »

Moontanman wrote:Ok guys! Big opportunity for anyone who has a desire for paddlefish! The guy i got mine from has some available for shipping. This is a very unusual opportunity, he has several "dinks" left over out of his usual crop of fish and is going to sell them. They have 3 to 5 inch dinks, $30 dollars each I'm not sure what shipping will be but he is willing to ship them second day.

Moontanman... I hope you won't object, but I've tried to discuss here an alternate reliable and reputable provider source for feed-trained and captive-reared Paddlefish juvenile @ approx $10 each, but typically quantities of 25 or more juvenile fish. My source may not be ideal for the aquarium enthusiast, but probably a good fit for many pond and lake owners.

Michael Lisk
St Louis Fish Company
(636) 530-1735
Viktor Jarikov
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice info and an opportunity. Thanks much Michael. I have been on email with Steve Kahr of Osage Catfisheries, MO and paddlefish was something we discussed http://www.osagecatfisheries.com/show-fish.asp . One thing to bear in mind, the Mississippi paddlefish temp range is 10-18 C so they appear to not tolerate freezing waters or warm waters. What's your knowledge on that?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
liskhomes

Post by liskhomes »

Victor ---
Paddlefish are a "hardy" species ( compared to many others ). They do well in parts of the USA with cold winters. Keep the surface of a pond or lake from freezing over, and paddlefish will "winter" well. If you would like to discuss the species, please call me 636-530-1735. I will also be happy to introduce you to the retired Aquaculture Professor in Kentucky. Professor has 25+ years experience with Paddlefish. Are you trying to stock some freshwater near Naples FL with Paddlefish?

Michael Lisk
St Louis Fish Company
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi Michael! Thanks for the info. My problem lies on the opposite side of the temp range. I'd like to display paddlefish in our small Public Aquarium but the water in our exhibits is too warm. 85F-89F for half a year.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I wonder if paddlefish can handle upper 80-ies for half a year and if your Professor friend knows it.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Moontanman
Interests: Collecting freshwater and salt water fish, scuba diving, surf fishing, lots of small fish in big aquariums

Post by Moontanman »

I know this is a day late and a dollar short but my paddle fish lasted three years, I moved and had them in an outdoor vat and a heron ate them. They are easy to keep, eat floating pellets and small minnows and will pick up live ghost shrimp and small crayfish off the bottom.

They do need a big tank, even the "dinks" but they are very cool and their feeding habits are under reported to say the least. They will eat small fish and even corral schools of small minnows and lunge feed on them. The dinks do not grow past 10" or so but if what I have experienced is valid the dinks do not live a long time. Mine lived three years but were eaten before I could really rest the limits of their life span. Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that three or four years is the limit for dinks, I am not sure if this is true or how that might change if they are kept in large tanks or vats.

I would not attempt long term captive care in less than a 300 gallon tank, 100 might work if their life spans are as short as rumored. The tank foot print is far more important than how tall the tank is. A good tank would have a foot print of around 8' by 3' they do better in square containers than I would have thought even learning to avoid decorations and other structures.

I am building a tank with a foot print of 12' by 3' but I am not sure if i want to dedicate it to paddlefish as they will catch and eat smaller fish and be out competed by other large fishes. Will be glad to discuss this further if anyone is interested. The tank i am building will be for shovelnose sturgeons and some catfish as well as other fish that strikes my fancy after it is built.

They are far more tolerant of warm water than you would expect, doing well in water well above 85 if the water is moving and aerated well.
I grow swamp trees like bald cypress and water tupelo in aquariums similar to bonsai
Michael Hissom
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hey Moontanman! Has it been 6 years since? I much appreciate your info, especially on the diet and the temperature they can handle and on the dinks' particulars. It makes me feel like I could give the paddles a try. That's very exciting!

I'd be happy if you tell us more and if I, if needed, could contribute anything of value to the discussion of your up and coming 12x3.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Phreeflow
My images: 1
My cats species list: 35 (i:3, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Usa
Location 2: America

Post by Phreeflow »

Really cool info @Moontanman. Appreciate you following up with the community
Moontanman

Post by Moontanman »

Good to hear from you! My health has taken another turn for the worse so the tank build might be postponed until next year. Lots of surgery and long recovery time is going to dominate me for the rest of 2016. But I have the glass and delays will not deter me! (positive thinking) It has been quite a long while since I was active on this forum but catfish are my true fishy love!
Michael Hissom
Moontanman

Post by Moontanman »

sidguppy wrote:hehe

Marc, I saw this coming a from mile or more. by now it's becoming a cliche.
there is a certain type of personality that goes for personal attacks (it's the smear tactics) when the argument cannot be won on facts or knowledge

it's the old "kill the messenger" method, when the messenge itself it not what one wants to hear.
really old skool.

it is also very typical and usual behaviour in discusions with persons from "a certain area", so to speak

seen it a million times before. because dissent or "political incorrectness" is not accepted.

when loosing the discussion because of reality, always attack the other person omn anything that diverses the attention away from the already lost argument.

it's called spinning the discussions. or Rovian tactics.

the fact still stands that Paddlefish -runts or no- are completely unsuitable for the aquarium hobby and the only sensible way of keeping them in captivity is either in a huge pond (not ideal, because ponds lack current!) or in a zoo tank.

concluding that; it makes it quite useless to advert them here. because not a single person on this forum can keep one as it should be kept

Now that I do have the experience of keeping paddlefish behind me I can address some of your concerns. I know it's an old thread but some things need to be cleared up.

The paddlefish after three years never went beyond 10" or so, I fed them heavily on floating pellets which them ate with gusto. I found out they also feed on small fish, ghost shrimp and small crayfish. They are very active, preferring to swim into a current.

They did quite well in a 75 but they were not very large, if I do it again i wouldn't consider a tank with a foot print of less than 8' by 3'. I do have a design of a tank made especially for pelagic fish that would work great but it would be very expensive to build.

These "dink" paddlefish, if my sources are correct, never get beyond 12" and seldom live for more than 3 years. These fish are destined to be culled and thrown away so I don't feel too bad for experimenting with them.

They started out dumb as bait but did eventually recognise me as the source of food and would begin searching for food anytime I would approach the tank and eventually swimming pool I kept them in.

Some details have to be changed, I did lose most of them to herons but in my new house I found out much to my dismay that the vat I was keeping the survivors in was polluted by plums falling off the plum tree that stretched out over the vat. I would remove floating ripe plums every morning but what I didn't know was that most of the plums were sinking to the bottom resulting the vat turning to plum vinegar. As you might realize vinegar is not tolerated well by most fishes.

A large tank with a foot print of 3' x 8' would be the minimum I would shoot for but raising them is easier if you start out will small tanks and slowing increase the size of the tank as the paddlefish grows it is much easier to keep track of what and how much the eat. Fingerlings will feed heavily but much like goldfish they result in lots of excrement which consists of much undigested food. I found that coolie loaches were pretty good about cleaning up the excess food and the paddle fish ignored them but did manage to eat black banded sunfish and other tank mates. You wouldn't think the slow deliberate pace of the paddlefish would allow other fish to easily avoid them but somehow they always managed to eat small fish in their tank.

I would be glad to answer any questions you or anyone else has.
Michael Hissom
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

That's a great update. It is all too easy to jump to conclusions when large fishes are concerned, I know I've learned that the hard way.

However, it is only the true fishkeepers that come back years later with their experiences. Sadly the huge number of "I've got an RTC, now what" tend to blind us to those who look after big fishes, or potentially big fishes, over the long term.

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Agree with Jools.

Many thank-you's for the info again.

So, am I understanding this right that the little paddles might have been still alive today if it was not for the herons and the plums? I understand you are citing the 3-year lifespan but everyone's mileage varies.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Moontanman

Post by Moontanman »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Agree with Jools.

Many thank-you's for the info again.

So, am I understanding this right that the little paddles might have been still alive today if it was not for the herons and the plums? I understand you are citing the 3-year lifespan but everyone's mileage varies.
The main problem was having to move and I had to move 4 times after I received the paddlefish. Moving tanks full of fish is difficult I am sure most people on this forum are aware.

Herons accounted for may of the deaths, they are quite common here and will raid outdoor fish ponds regularly. I tried to see if I could over come their small size by putting some of them in a 24' across swimming pool but herons got them. I lost a couple more to my first move due to the well water being anoxic and full of various sulfur compounds, the rest were victims of the plum tree, hind sight is of course always 20/20 but I do miss them..
Michael Hissom

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”