Re-Using Dirty Sand From A Tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
AndrewC
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.

Re-Using Dirty Sand From A Tank

Post by AndrewC »

I have a few tanks and clean them daily to help keep the substrate clean for the fry.
I syphon up a bit of sand each day, about 1/2" in the bottom of a bucket, i used to just let it go down the drain, but the outside drain has blocked recently, and i am now starting to collect the sand before it goes down the drain, to see if it is the sand from my tanks causing the block, only time will tell.

As long as i give it a good rinse, will the sand be all right to use again ?
When i syphon the tanks, it is the poo in the tank i am cleaning, plus any ground up food that that hasn't been eaten, and i keep wondering if it is a good idea to use the sand again, or throw it out.
Sigmar
Location 2: Arlington Tx

Re: Re-Using Dirty Sand From A Tank

Post by Sigmar »

Rinse it and reuse it. Many people even use older substrate along with old filter media to jump start a new tank. As a retired plumber don't let it go down the drain.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with both aspects: It can block drains, and it's absolutely no problem reusing it (unless you have snails or other "pests" that you don't want to keep - most snails can be killed by drying it). If you want to make a "sand-trap", take a cheap bucket, drill a hole about 2/3 of the way from the bottom and fit a hose-tail/bulkhead for draining. Sand will collect at the bottom of the bucket, and water flow out. If you use just a short piece of pipe (with a 90 degree elbow), you could just leave it next to the drain...

--
Mats
AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Thanks for the replys.
I use a python water changer to empty my tanks, into a 12" deep belfast sink.
Most of the sand sits in the sink after cleaning the tanks, and i have then been using a small cup to scoop it up and put it in a bucket, some is still going down the drain though, but not like before.

I will try the the bucket method, putting the bucket under the tap in the sink, and see how i get on.
The only problem i can see is the flow of water from the tap, and the extra pressure when a tank is being drained, it could swirl the bucket up and then carry the sand out of the drainage hole in the bucket.
Last edited by AndrewC on 07 Nov 2010, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It should work ok. When cleaning sand in a bucket, I run the water straight from the tap into the bucket, and it only stirs it a bit. If you are worried, get a taller bucket - like one of those 25kg salt buckets that the LFS may have a spare of...

I'm moving this thread to "Tank Talk", as I think that matches better for the subject...

--
Mats
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I also put the rinsed sand from the bottom of the bucket back into the tank and also use some sand in an established tank to help jump a new tank. Non rinsed that is.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I just kink the hose to control the flow just enough to lift the substrate into the wide mouth intake and let it tumble a few moments until the dirt is clean and then kink enough so it falls back into place. I have very fine river sand to some larger particle size substrates in different tanks but there is always a "sweet spot" in the flow which prevents removing substrate from the tank yet cleans it well in place. I have been using this approach for as long as I have been keeping aquariums which is a long time.
I had over 80 display/sales aquariums when I had a fish shop and I had to clean them all as easily as I could. All had under gravel filters so that alone dates me.
I am able to drain my waste water by running the end of the hose out the door. I use a pure siphon and have never tried any type that relies on the "Venturi Effect". But suction is suction so I don't see why the crimping method of flow control wouldn't work as well with Python-like systems.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Thanks for the replys.
The bucket method is working well.
I drilled a few 1/2" holes, 2/3rds up the height of the bucket, but it wasn't enough when i started draining a tank, so i used a hacksaw blade and cut a 1" slot along half of the bucket, and it works great now.
I got the sink depth wrong, it's not 18" but only 12" deep, if it was 18" deep i could have used the larger bucket that Mats mentioned, and it would have let me run the tap as strong as i wanted.

Return to “Tank Talk”