Feeding your Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Starsplitter7
Location 2: Tampa, Florida

Feeding your Pleco

Post by Starsplitter7 »

Over the years, I have found that many people either do not feed their algae eaters or they feed them lightly. I used to work at an LFS, and I was surprised at how many people thought they didn't need to feed their Plecos. I am using this term generally. I am talking about algae eating catfish in general like plecos, bristlenoses, oto cats, whiptails, . . . For all of these fish, I have found a number of people, who didn't feel they needed to feed these fish. Often people thought that the fish could find enough algae and scraps in the tanks and were surprised that their fish died. When I explain that I feed my fish, they are horrified to realize they may have starved their fish to death.

I am wondering if members here have found that people do not feed their algae eaters enough? (I would imagine most people on here know to feed their fish. But do you run into people who think they do not need to feed their algae eaters?) I was curious if anyone saw a trend of people not feeding their algae eaters?

I have a very large common pleco, and I feed her 1/2 a zucchini a week to supplement the algae wafers she eats and the other food she finds in the tank. My algae eaters get zucchini and other vegetables every week.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Feeding your Pleco

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure that there aren't many members of this forum that think that algae-eaters don't need feeding.

But there are certainly a lot of people who do not feel that there is a need to feed these fish, as they get enough from the algae... But algae is poor in nutrition, and you need a MASSIVE tank, with huge amounts of algae growing in the tank...

--
Mats
Starsplitter7

Re: Feeding your pl*co

Post by Starsplitter7 »

MatsP wrote:I'm pretty sure that there aren't many members of this forum that think that algae-eaters don't need feeding. Mats
I agree 100%. I know the members here feed their fish. I am wondering if members encounter other people they need to guide into feeding their algae eaters.

I have met so many people who are amazed to find they need to feed their algae eaters. I want to help get the word out through my local fish club newsletter and other forums I frequent. I am trying to figure out if this a localized misconception, or if it is more wide spread problem. I have met (personally or online) at least 20 people who didn't realize their needed to feed their algae eaters or severely underfed them.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I have met or overheard too many people to count who don't feed their "bottom feeders". I have heard it instilled in them at fish stores along with wrong tank size info. I know some people who think "bottom feeders" eat other fishes feces.

It's ridiculous and goes along with the: oh sure that common pl*co is appropriate for your ten gal tank, they only grow to the size of their environment and eat algae and fish waste.

I try to educate as many people as I can without being obnoxious. Unknown if i attain that. :lol:
Starsplitter7

Post by Starsplitter7 »

I agree all the way around.

I have a lot of bottom feeders (catfish and loaches), and people do really believe these fish are there only to clean after other fish. Craziness. I am dedicated to making sure people feed their plecos. :) I am very curious if other people run into people who don't feed their bottom dwellers.

When I worked at the fish store, I worked hard against selling a common pleco to people with a 1.5 gallon newly established tank. Augh! Get a snail (in a couple weeks)!

In Florida our rivers are clogged with common plecos that are tossed by people. People actually sell their eggs to make money. I think they shouldn't be sold in box stores and only in specialty stores to true catfish lovers.

BNs make a better "algae eater" for most smaller tanks (30 gallons+).
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

yes agreed on the BN being much more appropriate to sell but unfortunately much harder to find in stores then the poor common.
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

This was a mistake I made when I was just starting out. Never again!
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
coheedandcambriarules
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: rochester, mn
Location 2: rochester, mn

Post by coheedandcambriarules »

I just go ahead and be obnoxious. :D
Capt Dave
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: New York

Post by Capt Dave »

agreed with all comments. To starsplitter...how big is your common? Is the algae wafers and zucchini all you feed him?
Starsplitter7

Post by Starsplitter7 »

My common is about 12". I have tried romaine. She won't eat it. She loves cucumber, zucchini is the favorite. She also probably eats what my other fish do not -- cocktail shrimp, shrimp pellets, flake, . . . I tired peas and green beans and she isn't. I know these guys are mostly vegetarians, so I don't purposely feed meat, but she lives with a tiretrack eel, bichir and a ropefish. They are pretty good about taking care of the shrimp.

I will read the articles on feeding plecos, so I can better round out her diet.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”