L27 thunder?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andersp90
Location 2: Denmark

L27 thunder?

Post by Andersp90 »

Could these guys be L27 goldline/thunder?
Attachments
Fotos(23).JPG
Fotos(14).JPG
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Re: L27 thunder?

Post by matthewfaulkner »

I don't think they are 'Thunders' although I'm not too sure what qualifies as one. The fish on the right and the second pic looks like a and the other looks like it could be the same but maybe . Either way they are beautiful fish, my favourites.
Matthew
Andersp90

Post by Andersp90 »

The asians call them thunder pelcos because the yellow lines look like lightning. :)

But from what i understand, the thunder pleco is actually an independent species?

They are beautifual as small, but lose their colour with age... :? Just look at that long nose.
Attachments
x.jpg
Teles Pires.jpg
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

I don't think that 'Thunders' constitute a new species, just another variant. A lot of the Brazilian river varieties are essentially the same and resemble Panaque nigrolineatus, there are only a few small features to differentiate. But 'Thunders' definitely have longer noses like you say. I don't what river they come from, the second picture I recognise from Rayon Vert Aqua and supposedly comes from the Rio Teles Pires and I haven't seen another like it. To add to the confusion I learnt from Janne that Rio Araguaia Royals (from the Cat-elog) are actually from the Rio Teles Pires (upstream of the Rio Tapajos).
Matthew
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whilst planet catfish often puts regional varieties as "species" in the Cat-eLog, only fish that are scientifically described can be clearly said to be "a new species". However, for breeding purposes, different regional varieties should be kept apart, whether they are scientifically considered the same species or not.

--
Mats
Andersp90

Post by Andersp90 »

matthewfaulkner wrote:I don't think that 'Thunders' constitute a new species, just another variant. A lot of the Brazilian river varieties are essentially the same and resemble Panaque nigrolineatus, there are only a few small features to differentiate. But 'Thunders' definitely have longer noses like you say. I don't what river they come from, the second picture I recognise from Rayon Vert Aqua and supposedly comes from the Rio Teles Pires and I haven't seen another like it. To add to the confusion I learnt from Janne that Rio Araguaia Royals (from the Cat-elog) are actually from the Rio Teles Pires (upstream of the Rio Tapajos).
The big panaque is the same type as the smaller one under it. I got the picture from our exporter in brazil.

He says that they lose their colour with age. Also, the pic of the smaller panaque has been edited to look more shiny and golden. :)
blueblue
Location 1: Asia
Location 2: Asia

Post by blueblue »

Yes, they are thunders (or "God of Thunders") as the head shape is much elongated and different from L27C (the usual gold-strip)... As a remark, this name should originally come from Japan...
Bubbles2112
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: North Carolina, USA

Post by Bubbles2112 »

...He says that they lose their colour with age...

Does this mean the stripe will fade to the solid overall dark coloration of the body?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”