Still Trying To ID.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Still Trying To ID.

Post by GER1023 »

Ok I was trying to get an ID for my Hypostomus pleco but still having difficulty. I got more recent pictures of it in more relaxed colors. Is better feed no more sunken in belly (how it was when I bought it) and tail has grown back. Part of it was missing due to its former owners having it with an aggressive fish. Well here are 3 before pics and 2 after. Hope to get an ID. Either way love this pleco has really improved alot since I got it.

With Previous Owner
First Day With Me

Recent Pics
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Still Trying To ID.

Post by MatsP »

I'll call it , but they are quite hard to identify to species, particularly if there is no capture location.

--
Mats
Sanplec
My cats species list: 13 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Netherlands

Post by Sanplec »

Maybe or ?
Sanplec

L46, L102, L174
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure that L087 is a Cochliodon group fish, and the fish in this thread is NOT a Cochliodon fish.

I suspect this fish is not an L-number fish, but rather one of the common species from South America that isn't exported much because they are not worth much for their size, when you can get Pterygoplichthys that are quite similar, and very cheap.

is a match, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it really is that, as there are others that are very similar. For example, if it came from the Rio Janeiro river, it would be . If it arrived from Trinidad, it would be . If it's from Upper Amazon & Peru, then perhaps .

That's just a quick sampling from species that I have previously looked based on memory of having looked at them, so I'm not at all saying it has to be any of these species.

--
Mats
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Post by GER1023 »

MatsP wrote:I'm pretty sure that L087 is a Cochliodon group fish, and the fish in this thread is NOT a Cochliodon fish.

I suspect this fish is not an L-number fish, but rather one of the common species from South America that isn't exported much because they are not worth much for their size, when you can get Pterygoplichthys that are quite similar, and very cheap.

is a match, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it really is that, as there are others that are very similar. For example, if it came from the Rio Janeiro river, it would be . If it arrived from Trinidad, it would be . If it's from Upper Amazon & Peru, then perhaps .

That's just a quick sampling from species that I have previously looked based on memory of having looked at them, so I'm not at all saying it has to be any of these species.

--
Mats
Yeah that what I kinda thought that it wouldn't be ID-able due to me having no idea what the collecting point was for this pleco. Oh well I guess it will remain labeled as Hypostomus sp.

Return to “What is my catfish?”