zebra plec ph level?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
zebra_pl*co
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Interests: catfish - especially L numbers

zebra plec ph level?

Post by zebra_pl*co »

I know that there is tons of sites that I can find this on and its probaly been mentioned 100 times before, but what is the reccomended ph for my zebra plecs, I have currently got it at 7.0ph as they share with a fair few other fish. Oh and my other fish are not too keen on the warmer waters that the plecs love.

i have ordered a new tank for my zebra's and i collect it tommorow - of course it will need a few more weeks for teh cycle, but what ph is the best for them, at least can i have the ph at anything and not upset the other fish and yes i am intending on making these breed - I have 4 mature ones at the mo, i may be getting two more juvinilles tommorow as they will let me have them for £100 for the pair.

I think its the wrong time of the year now for these to breed though as the fish shop cant get any more now for a while, as the supplies have run out.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I read that they do well in pH of 6.5 - 7.0.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I think you could go as low as 6.0, as the Xingu is pretty soft and acidic.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I agree, 6.5-7. Although, with zebras, pH really doesn't matter that much. I have heard that they will breed in waters with a pH of 8. The only difference is that the pH MAY have an effect on the "stickyness" of the eggs.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Scarlet
Location 1: Hong Kong SAR

Post by Scarlet »

well, well. The price for plecos seems to vary over the world. A juvenile Zebra in Hong Kong only costs £60 somthing per pair... :roll:
My beloved plecos are Scarlet........Eyes with Evil Look!!
ImageImage
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I don't think the Ph is that important for keeping them, as they are rather pretty adaptative to this as long as you don't fall in the extrems, I would worry more about the % of the disolved oxygen level in the water and the conductivity of the water and the T°.

As you stated the problem can be concerning the adesiveness of the eggs or osmotic problem that will make the egg s' shell difficult for the fry to break.

As I have said before, I had successfull spawning in water having a conductivity of 140 microsiemens , GH: 4 ° KH 2° but a PH of 7.6... the high PH is due because of the high water flow created by the 3 filters combining for 2800l/h ( 700gal/h) in a 240liter tank (60 gal)

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”