Giant Tanks / Ponds

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Giant Tanks / Ponds

Post by Redtailrob »

Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade a few of my tanks ponds in the very foreseable future.
Can anyone recommend here in the UK good suppliers of custome built on site Aquaria approx 8 foot plus.

I would also consider preformed Rigid Pools but the largest I can currently find is 6 X 4 X 3 which isnt adequate.

Ideally need something 9 or 10 Long foot x 4 x 4 and must be Rigid/rectanqular and preferably freestanding.

Thanks
R
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Giant Tanks / Ponds

Post by Bas Pels »

I know someone who has fishes himself (thus he knows why I want certain things) and works at a contractor in sales

His employer made for me ponds in my backyard, and I coated them myself with epoxy

Obviously, I'm not UK based, and therefore can not name anyone, but this might help expanding your search
cats have whiskers
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Thanks Bas.

Could be something I look into.
Cant believe it is only you & I on the whole forum that have any info or suggestions on sourcing Big Tanks but thank you :(
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Rob
You could try seabray - they can make tanks on site (for a charge). Am sure there are a few other tank makers who can do the same.
I've seen a fair few marine tanks in 8x3x3+ dimensions, so it's definitely not impossible, just not cheap!
Good luck
HTH
Martin
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

If it's a glass tank you want you could call Jez @ http://www.poseidons-palace.co.uk/ to discuss the sort of thing you're after & see what the costs are - obviously bigger tanks are more expensive but his tanks are no-nonsense realistic prices & i'm sure in conversation with him previously he said he has built tanks "in situ"
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
RickE
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

I used to work with Mark Wilson from here http://www.aquariumcollection.com/ when I was at TMC. I haven't any experience of New Era's tank building skills, but Mark really knows his stuff and is probably worth a call.
Rick
Viktor Jarikov
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi Rob, a few DIY ideas:

(1) make a carcass (wood or metal or sturdy PVC piping or cement blocks) and use a rubber liner, 45 mil is good - very easy! or dig it up part or all depth into the ground.

(2) look into inflatable or solid-wall (usually aluminum with vinyl liner) above-ground swimming pools (they come in all kinds of sizes and shapes - round oval and rectangular)- might have to line them with the same rubber liner so that cats do not puncture the pool; vinyl is too thin and weak for the same reason

(3) get a water-storage tank; e.g., here we have some that are designed for storing large amounts of water in places where there is no running water, they are huge 550 to 1550 US gal, white plastic drums, 3-4.5 feet high, all solid with only one submarine-type threaded cover and maybe a drain outlet at the bottom; you could cut out a larger opening in the top

(4) may look for a large trough aka stockpond aka stockpool - designed to hold water for cattle, horses, etc. ranches - these come in variable sizes; the largest rectangular I've seen here at country/farm stores is 8' x 3' x 3' and circular 8'-12' diameter x 3' deep. I am sure with more effort one should be able to find other sizes.

Good luck!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I've only bought a few simple things from these guys, but they seemed very helpful and friendly, and whilst I don't see anything in their website that matches what you are after, they are used to dealing with large volumes of water, and may be able to point you in the right direction, if not directly supply what you want:
http://www.healthykoi.co.uk/

--
Mats
bulldogsimon
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: norfolk uk

Post by bulldogsimon »

i got my tank from nd aquatics. its quite good quality

also kieth at windsor aquatics or i think ac aquatics up scotland way?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

AC Aquatics is definitely one of the best prices in the country. I have not bought anything from them, so I have no idea if their products are good, but the prices are definitely showing good promise.

--
Mats
JamieH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: SHEFFIELD - UK

Post by JamieH »

I used poseidons-palace for the first batch of tanks to go into the fish house as they was cheaper than kieth at windsor aquatics who I had always used in the past BUT without going into detail the second batch all came from kieth at windsor aquatics. In fact he is making a delivery on tuesday of another 25 tanks for the second fish house.

In terms of big tanks I have two 104"x36"x36" wooden vats that are a wooden frame with glass panel and then fibreglassed like the stuff used in ponds.

No good for you but I picked these up off ebay for just £150 bargin mind you it cost me a lot more to put a building up to house them!
Viktor Jarikov
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Jamie, can you tell me/us a bit more about the vats, please, perhaps with pics? Are they made of 5 glass panels - 4 walls and a bottom? Are there supports along the 104" panels? How are the seams done, white silicone? black rubber? or is this fiberglass thing you mentioned? The way I picture the sealant is used on cement/concrete pools, it is sprayed on as a thin film onto the entire surface, but this would not seal the seams and 'd render your glass panels largely opaque, would not it?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
crkinney
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:14)
Location 2: Orange city fl. USA
Interests: Hunt ,fish ,watch fish and P.O. the wife
nick name MULE

Post by crkinney »

Just an idea for you .I have a buddy that has converted his old hot tub to an out side fish tank it has a good filter and heater built in . so far it works good.
JamieH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: SHEFFIELD - UK

Post by JamieH »

Victor

The tanks are all wooden construction 4"x2" topped with marine ply with two glass viewing panels which are siliconed into place then the whole lot is fibreglassed on top.

When i got these they was a horrid blue colour I have since painted them with a black rubber pond liner paint that seals any cracks to make them more attractive to the eye. I will post some pictures tomorrow in another thread of the vats

Return to “Tank Talk”