synodontis lucipinnis egg size

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
walleye1
Location 2: Iowa, USA

synodontis lucipinnis egg size

Post by walleye1 »

I saw my synodontis lucipinnis spawn again in my cat tank. The other fish went into a feeding frenzy. I've been working with my synodontis multipunctata, and have gotten little cats from them. So far the best spawn I got was 32, with 28 surviving. Now, I think I'm ready to try the synodontis lucipinnis. I think I've researched enough to give it a shot. One question I got is, how big are the synodontis lucipinnis eggs compared to the synodontis multipunctata? I have a tumbler that works for multi eggs. Will it work for the lucipinnis eggs also? If so, I think I got what I need to get started on them.

Thanks,
Steve
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Re: synodontis lucipinnis egg size

Post by Scleropages »

Steve, sorry you haven't gotten a response here yet. I think the short answer is: yes, your egg tumbler should be fine for both S. multipunctata and S. lucipinnis eggs. If you look for the "Petricola Egg Spray" video on youtube, you will get an idea of the size of S. lucipinnis eggs.

Good luck rearing those fry!
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Yes this should be fine - how are you collecting the eggs firstly?

If you are using the pot of marbles, place a mesh underneath the marbles with some space below so the marbles can be removed without risk of squashing any eggs
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
walleye1
Location 2: Iowa, USA

Post by walleye1 »

Thanks for the replys. I plan on doing a modified trap like the marble trap, with a screened space at the bottom. We noticed the lucipinnis get more active just before a spawn. Hopefully I'll be ready when the next spawn occurs.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Good luck! I'm in the same boat... going to install some "caves" for my S. lucipinnis and see if I can harvest some eggs. So I can eat them! Not!

Then, there's the whole rearing process...
DJRansome
Location 1: NJ

Post by DJRansome »

I did not see the info provided here, but I think lucipinnis eggs are much smaller and a different color than multi eggs, can anyone confirm? I've seen multi eggs, they are similar in size/color to mbuna eggs, which makes sense. Larger (1/8"?), opaque and pale orange-pink in color.

Lucipinnis eggs...I've seen my lucipinnis spawn on several occasions and the fish all seem able to see the eggs as they are all snapped up. But I have not been able to get a good look at one. Small and colorless? 1/16" or smaller?
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

i ve never seen eggs from mine yet but i ve seen videos of them spawning on you tube and it looks like very small clearish eggs, kinda like the cory eggs they put on the glass but smaller. if that's what I am seeing. :lol:
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I did not see the info provided here, but I think lucipinnis eggs are much smaller and a different color than multi eggs, can anyone confirm?]
Definately smaller.

Birger
Birger
bristlenosedude
Location 2: DFW, TX

Post by bristlenosedude »

The eggs are very small and clear. The fry are thus very small and stay clear until ~3/8" or so before they start getting spots. They grow slowly. I have had sucessful spawns of 400 fry and I have friends who had thousands of them. Can be a pain to hatch and raise due to the small size. I have quit messing with them and am having fry survive in the parents tank somehow, although not many.
Plecos Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L182-30 ea
L270-7 ea
L204-7 ea
LDA22-20 ea
L066-12 ea
L201-7 ea
LDA33-1 ea
LDA31-1 ea
LDA01-8 ea
Brown, albino, albino long fin, calico, calico long fin bristle nose-lots
DJRansome
Location 1: NJ

Post by DJRansome »

Mine just spawned a couple weeks ago and I was sure I caught some eggs in the net. Maybe they were just bubbles, or maybe they were too small for the net and passed through.

I put the net in a breeder net. I don't see anything. I think I missed. :oops:

Return to “African Catfishes”