Wash DC Catfish Convention

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Wash DC Catfish Convention

Post by Linus_Cello »

If anyone is in the Washington DC area October 21-24, 2010, you may be interested in the All Aquarium Catfish Convention. One of the speakers is Lucia Rapp Py-Daniel, talking about Rio Xingu Plecos. Would love to meet folks on the forum!

For more details, see:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =2&t=30088
www.catfish2010.com
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Wash DC Catfish Convention

Post by Barbie »

Like most of us haven't been counting the days until the next Convention anyway :lol:. Thank you for posting the link!

Barbie
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

If you've had problems with hotel reservations for the convention, they've apparently just been fixed.

Please NOTE Hotel Bookers!

The rep for the hotel contacted me today and I've got the glitch worked out! Yay! If you want to book a hotel room, call (703) 818-1234. Ask for reservations and they will put you through to central reservations. ASK FOR THE CATFISH CONVENTION RATE. You will get the rate of $90 per night instead of the regular rate of $110-$150.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE AN IN-ROOM SALES PERSON, JUST BOOK THE ROOM. THEN LET ME KNOW YOU ARE SELLING OUT OF YOUR ROOM BY EMAILING ME AT: roomsales@catfish2010.com, AND I WILL GIVE THE HOTEL NOTICE THAT YOU BELONG ON THE NINTH FLOOR....

Thanks so much every one for your patience!

Gardengirl, Sherry
2009, PVAS President

More hotel info for the convention can be found at: www.catfish2010.com/hotel.php
Julie
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pottstown, PA
Location 2: Pottstown, PA
Interests: fish, kids, horses, karate

Post by Julie »

Sherry,

Email sent! Thanks for helping out on this... and Andrew let it slip it was your idea for the Friday night party on the 9th floor! That should rock!
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Virginia

Post by James0816 »

Might be something of interest. Just over an hour up the road. Kewlness.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Something of interest? Dude, you're talking about our Mecca! :lol: You'll see. You should definitely make the trip ;).

Barbie
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

Sure hope I can make it this year! One hr further away now, up to nearly 10 hr drive :( Oh well its a great trip, hope to see everyone again.

Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

I'm sure everyone has noticed that the Convention has moved to a new location: Fairfax, Virginia (not Laurel Maryland as in the pass).

Please feel free to pass the info on the Convention to other forums you may be on: http://www.catfish2010.com/

For those of you who are coming for the first time, you're in for a real treat. It's amazing to see hotel rooms full of aquarium tanks- gives new meaning to sleeping with the fishes! :lol:
longstocking
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Maryland
Location 2: Maryland
Interests: SCUBA

Post by longstocking »

I'll be there... my favorite convention.... and it has nothing to do with cichlids :lol:

Barbie if you need a ride from the airport just let me know. It's better to come into the Dulles airport or even Regan... but I will be down that way anyways. Even BWI... which ever is least expensive is fine. I think now a days Regan is the cheapest.
Sarah
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

AACC10 Update: New Speaker
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:52 PM

Catfish conventioneers, we have some bad news and some good news. Since I like to leave the room happy, the bad news first: Lucia Rapp Py--Daniel is not able to join us for the convention as originally planned. She is extremely disappointed not to be meeting all of you this year and we hope that we'll be able to get her up from Brazil in a future edition of the catfish convention. We sincerely apologize to those who were excited to meet Lucia and hear her presentation.

The good news: Our good friend Hans-Georg Evers was eager to step in for Lucia. Hans is one of the truly great catfish minds in the world, and is great guy to hang out with for a weekend too. This will only be his second trip to North America as a speaker, the first being our convention in 2008 when he spoke about Amazon habitats and Corydoras catfishes. Hans has edited or written at least ten books on catfishes in the aquarium hobby including the Mergus Wels (Catfish) Atlas, volumes 1 and 2 and Identifying Corydoradinae Catfishes with co-author and convention speaker Ian Fuller. He's written hundreds of articles and is editor-in-chief of the German aquarist magazine Amazonas. Hans is an eager explorer and has collected fishes from across the tropics.

Hans' talk, Rio Xingu, Lost Pleco Paradise, will discuss the Loricariid catfishes from the Rio Xingu and other nearby, fast-water tributaries of the Amazon, the ecological challenges these fishes face, and care and breeding information of these spectacular plecos.

We're extremely grateful to Hans for stepping in on short notice and can't wait to see him along with the rest of the great panel of speakers who have graciously agreed to come talk to all of us at this year's convention.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding. We look forward to seeing all of our old friends and meeting a bunch new ones at this year's event!

Andrew Blumhagen, Program Chair
All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2010
and
Sherry Mitchell
Co-chair, AACC10
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by MichaelC95 »

Do you have to pay to go, also do they sell all kinds of catfish
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

You can get all of the information at the web site http://www.catfish2010.com/

Mark
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by MichaelC95 »

I could not find the info I was looking for, I may have missed it. Can you just go there to buy fish and if there is a fee to go in what is that fee. Thanks.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Yes, there will be all kinds of catfish. You can try contacting a vendor, and they can maybe bring you what you want. As for paying:

Registration Fee for Speakers: $40. Required for admission to all convention activities "except" fish show, vendor rooms, and auction on Sunday.

http://catfish2010.com/register.php
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Is anyone coming to the convention from Europe or Australia?
I just found the "back to nature" backgrounds (http://www.backtonature.se/english/insp ... zonas.html) on the web, and it doesn't appear that they are available for sale in the US. I think there would be a lot of interest in these if someone had them at the 2010 Catfish Convention.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”