Orange & green Cory (juvenile)

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Orange & green Cory (juvenile)

Post by ranmasan »

Hi All,

I've just recently purchased 8 of these little guys from my LFS who called them "Orange Corydoras from Peru". The pics below are of the portliest (and least camera shy) of the group and really don't capture their true colors. It is primarily orange with a large dark green "spot" in its midsection. An iridescent light-greenish coloring is on its "cheeks". I've taken two pics: one with flash and one without, but the green sort of looks black in these photos (best I can do with my camera, my apologies for the quality). This one is approximately 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch in length and the others are slightly smaller.

Is this some sort of hybrid? My LFS firmly believes that they're not but admits that he doesn't know any more than what he was told by the breeder he bought them from.

Any help identifying these little guys would be greatly appreciated :D !

No Flash

With Flash
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Re: Orange & green Cory (juvenile)

Post by corybreed »

It looks like C. venezuelanus.

Mark
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

These are corys are .Your LFS was right these were not hybrid,these corys in the past was actually said to be a synonyms of the corydoras aeneus.It was later recognised to be a true species.These cory are actually not from Peru as your LFS said,but was actually found in northern Venezuela.
Last edited by corybrummie2010 on 03 Aug 2010, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I was also going to say but wasn't sure Peru was in its distribution range.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Post by ranmasan »

Wow -- the species photos for these cories are terrific, especially the site location photos supplied by Julian :thumbsup:

My sincere thanks to everyone for helping me identify these little guys -- although I did see the previous post by BlackSoul, I didn't followthrough and check out the species info for the C. venezuelanus because the hover image threw me off. My bad & thanks again!

Return to “What is my catfish?”