World Cup 2010

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by Marc van Arc »

L number Banana wrote:My last and final beef about that game. Why do the fans have to bring up "The Great War" every time??? There was even fans dressed in the RAF uniforms. Was a colossal insult, wish a veteran had punched those two guys in the nose.
No, no, you misunderstood. Those two were the pilots from "Allo Allo" :wink:

Dutch team: results okay, but the way they play is utterly boring......
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Marc van Arc wrote:
L number Banana wrote:My last and final beef about that game. Why do the fans have to bring up "The Great War" every time??? There was even fans dressed in the RAF uniforms. Was a colossal insult, wish a veteran had punched those two guys in the nose.

Dutch team: results okay, but the way they play is utterly boring......
Marc's right, those two guys were hilarious and were meant to be those two idiots from the TV comedy series - I don't think its disrespect at all - if we can laugh and/or tolerate anything like that, after all that has been, then we are better for it. If you knew the background you'd also know it was self deprecating in a very English way. I guess it might be hard for the English to find something to get behind outside of their colonial past. It'd be nice if (their lady folk) could dress up like the Brazilians, have the focus on one single colour like the Dutch or we have the vibrancy of the Ghanains for example, but the English don't. Neither do the Scots for that matter, be we at least have tartan and ginger hair and we're not afraid to use it (when we get to a finals competition).

A matter of perspective I think, I mean, who's getting upset about all those guys dressed up as crusaders. The English flag after all is a cross. You can take it all a bit too far.

Jools
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

who's getting upset about all those guys dressed up as crusaders
I was thinking about Knights Templar when I spotted those guys and had a big laugh, since the next image in my head was the silly sing-song dance of the "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail :lol:

edit: bummer, the youtube tags don't work..... :(

the two pilotys from Allo Allo were very recognizable too. it would have been tops if some German guys dressed up as Lieutennant Gruber or Herr Flick; but a long black leather Gestapo coat might be a bit too hot in South Africa, not to mention that the officials at the gate might misunderstood the joke when someone dresses up in a Wehrmacht suit or limps to the entrance. :beardy:

but Allo Allo is also aired on the big TV channels in Germany (!!) wich shows that even the Germans can have a big laugh at all the silly stuff today as well. :mrgreen:

I agree with Marc and others that the Dutch playing style is utterly boring to watch.
also: they better boost things up for the next match, cause no way they're going to defeat Brazil playing like that.....
Valar Morghulis
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Marc, Jools and SidGuppy:
Ooooo, well now I fell silly and relieved at the same time. Had a good giggle looking up 'Allo Allo". I should have known better with that lovely world famous demented sense of humour. Wish I had cable.

True with those templar guys because I've never been PO'd at all the 'vikings' and they were't really known to the world as being bunny-hugging sweetie pies. :?: Hmm.

Maybe I'm just being a wee bit too sensitive me thinks. My past experience with England vs Germany took place at a pub I worked at and the old white ex-pats left no doubt about their references. It got quite nasty at times, even with their kids/grandkids in the pub.

Official apology to the two dudes in Africa :D
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

I've seen the future World Champion play tonight: Spain.
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Maybe I'm just being a wee bit too sensitive me thinks. My past experience with England vs Germany took place at a pub I worked at and the old white ex-pats left no doubt about their references. It got quite nasty at times, even with their kids/grandkids in the pub.
talk about nasty; any game when there's Netherland Vs Germany all kinds of Dutch vermin crawl out of the woodwork all over the country; the atmosphere turns downright vicious, right up to the point where cars with German license plates get torched (!!)

I kid you not. sad stuff like that happens every single time when Germany plays Netherlands.
the media doesn't help either, it ALWAYS stokes the fire.
there's a whole -and quite large- segment of the population here that still HATES the Germans with a vengeance and these idiots get out in the open whenever there's a footballgame

probably they try to compensate for the fact they their entire family collaborated in the war. the same why a certain type of guy needs to beat up gays to hide the fact that they themselves are gay as well
the people in the Netherlands collaborated better with the Nazi's than the local German population did (a historical fact! :shock: ), so the stupid war still looms large in our movie culture, books and -alas- football games.

the German Mannschaft has my support. I definitely like their current playing style (wich is a VAST improvement of the style they used to have), and I do have friends in many perts of Germany, including Berlin.

screw the idiots that drag the buried hatred of ancient wars into a sportsgame
;)
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

L number Banana wrote:Maybe I'm just being a wee bit too sensitive me thinks. My past experience with England vs Germany took place at a pub I worked at and the old white ex-pats left no doubt about their references. It got quite nasty at times, even with their kids/grandkids in the pub.
You're right to be sensitive. We've a real problem in Scotland with football being inextricably linked with religion. I won't take my son to a game for this reason although I'd love to in time. We are not a long time away from international football hooliganism, that's something that a lot of countries just don't get. Imagine going to support a team with a knife in your pocket, hoping to use it. I can remember seeing supporters throwing bananas at a black player (I'm 38). It all beggars belief. Even now the level of verbal abuse is staggering (mixed with the highest wit and humour). It is getting better, but the level of religious hatred is still ugly. We seem to be getting away from hooliganism at least internationality but their are deep divides still in Scottish football. I've been to NFL & baseball ball games (yankees Vs red sox just after the later won the "world" series) in the States where there is "fierce rivalry" and it's just plain mild by comparison. It's really hard to get that annoyed when you're eating popcorn. That's not some kind of put down, just as a way of explaining how alien this is to most sports fans. Remember the pics of the violence at Ireland Vs England years ago? I remember footage of a kid that just didn't understand. Not fear, not hatred, just didn't understand.

So, that's what I was getting at, is as I'd dearly love for a Scottish league game were supporters could dress up, sit next to each other and even have a little drink. We're so, so, so far from that at home and that's why I find the world cup a special thing.

Jools

PS What WERE those Japanese dudes dressed up as?!?!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Jools wrote:I guess it might be hard for the English to find something to get behind outside of their colonial past.
Er, I'm no historian, but certainly British colonialism was not limited to south of the border!

There's a huge proportion of New Zealanders with Scottish heritage, especially down in Southland (rains a lot there!).
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

racoll wrote:Er, I'm no historian, but certainly British colonialism was not limited to south of the border!
Yeah yeah, totally agree, and Glasgow was known as the second city of the Empire, sure. Shared past, and shared atrocities and glory, not diminishing that at all. Arguably also, we're (Scotland) the first colony! But I think we're over all that, my point is I'm not sure about you lot. My feeling is that England still see themselves as top 5, in with a shout at every tournament, and certainly they have a decent chance and some good players. But, I do think there is an over-optimism which some think may have its roots in the past.

Jools
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

But, I do think there is an over-optimism which some think may have its roots in the past.
Maybe for some, sure.

I don't think anyone would mind as much though if we put in a decent performance once in while.

It wasn't too long ago when we could beat smaller teams convincingly, and then go out to a big team after a really close game.

That isn't so bad.
torbanite
I've donated: $100.00!
Location 2: CO, USA

Post by torbanite »

L number Banana wrote: ..I never seen Scotland play.
It is probably fair to say that we don't "play" very often :-(
We're a bit like England but, since 1978, without the over inflated expectations.

Still brings a tear to my eye after all these years :-)

L number Banana

Still brings a tear to my eye after all these years :-)
That was beautiful. Those guys had to pick up their shorts after he flew by. :lol:

Speaking of colonialism, Queen Elizabeth is in Canada today to celebrate Canada Day. Big party on the hill. Folks will be out with their anti-monarchy signs but thousands more will be getting all dolled up to see her. Technically, she's still the Queen of Canada as well. Her son may be a dweeb but as monarchs go, she's pretty well received. Another excuse to dress up and party.

Canada is experiencing a whole new kind of football issue now that we have a relatively 'good' team. Since we're pretty much all immigrants except for the First Nations people, who does everyone cheer for when the 'home' country plays the 'old country'? Sparks a big debate everytime one of the big teams play a friendly with our team. People get all grouchy and say that you shouldn't cheer for XXX when they play Canada, because you left your old country to become a citizen of this one.
The breakdown seems to be as follows:
First are the immigrants that were born elsewhere - cheers for the original home country, "But we like Canada too"
Second generation, came as babies or born shortly after arriving - cheers for the old country.
Third generation: Canada all the way. The season ticket holders look like a meeting of the United Nations :D

Father: "In the old country, things were better, we...blahblah.."
Grandchild: "No it wasn't, it sucked. You came here because things were crappy there..."

Thank god I don't teach History, I'd lose my job in the first week! It ain't pretty.

I have a big show on the day that Germany plays Argentina. :shock: Do I buy a bunch of batteries and bring the tiny TV or do I save myself the anguish and just look for the Argentinian flags driving by?
Argentina has been pretty theatrical AND amazing. Are the young Germans going to get sucked in and go out on a red card party? Or will they get frustrated and deserve some cards? I'm all nerves. Very different playing styles. I'm just praying for no controversy of any kind.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Yeah, that's true to a point but then there is always the bad result against lowly opposition that seems to wreck confidence. Go look at the history to the defeat to the US in 1950, the first game England played after winning the world cup in 1966 and so on. But then look at what's viewed as lowly opposition. The USA nearly won last years confederation cup being 2 goals up on Brazil in the final and having knocked out the likes of Spain. Algeria are one of the best teams in Africa. Maybe there are less lowly teams too. Everyone I talk to down here (in Hemel Hempstead at present) says it was the easiest group and the teams a disgrace. That doesn't make sense to me even if Englad were below par, they didn't "do a France".

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

L number Banana wrote:Very different playing styles. I'm just praying for no controversy of any kind.
Good luck with that. I'm expecting a robust game before the traditionally edgy semis. I'd put a cheeky 50p bet on it does not end with 22 players on the park. Actually, this and the Brazil Vs Netherlands game are very, very exciting prospects.

Jools
Barbapappa
Location 2: NL

Post by Barbapappa »

Jools wrote:
L number Banana wrote:Very different playing styles. I'm just praying for no controversy of any kind.
Good luck with that. I'm expecting a robust game before the traditionally edgy semis. I'd put a cheeky 50p bet on it does not end with 22 players on the park. Actually, this and the Brazil Vs Netherlands game are very, very exciting prospects.

Jools
Go Netherlands go!! We can do it :D
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

L number Banana wrote: Are the young Germans going to get sucked in and go out on a red card party? Or will they get frustrated and deserve some cards? I'm all nerves. Very different playing styles. I'm just praying for no controversy of any kind.
Luring the referee into giving a cord to the opposition is an act only the Germans have a special word for: Schwalbe

I somehow feel this implies they have all been tested in this area :lol:
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Bas Pels wrote:Luring the referee into giving a cord to the opposition is an act only the Germans have a special word for: Schwalbe
We just call it diving (although a nice touch to name it after the dive of the swallow bird), Klinnsman was one of the best. Although recently I've seen ridiculous attempts at it from other teams. Good to see the swallows booked.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

And while we're talking about odd costumes, what's with the German coach and assistants always wearing the same clothes. I heard them refered to in commentary as "the oldest boy band in town". Matching suits fine, matching tracksuits OK. Doesn't anyone think it just a bit odd that they don't wear those things but are always wearing matching different outfits for different games.

Jools
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

YES!
Valar Morghulis
Dan*
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Netherlands Rotterdam

Post by Dan* »

----------------------HOLLAND----------------------
Barbapappa
Location 2: NL

Post by Barbapappa »

Whoehoehoehoe!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Uruguay still in the race

I'm happy 8)

Viva Uruguay
cats have whiskers
L number Banana

Bas Pels wrote:Luring the referee into giving a cord to the opposition is an act only the Germans have a special word for: Schwalbe

We just call it diving (although a nice touch to name it after the dive of the swallow bird), Klinnsman was one of the best. Although recently I've seen ridiculous attempts at it from other teams. Good to see the swallows booked.

Jools
Well, that's telling! :lol: I was thinking about the Argentina players diving, not the Germans. Klinsy was a master at that though..hmm.

Couldn't watch the games today but after Uraguay's goal, I heard vuvuzelas!! Some local fans got them from somewhere and were doing the rounds of the downtown area. Funny to see all the vendors and tourists stop in their tracks and try to peer through everything to find out what colour flags were sticking out the windows. That sound is really unmistakable.

Do I put a German flag in my stall tomorrow and risk alienating 31 potential groups of customers? Mmm, nope, small TV under the table.
Jools: And while we're talking about odd costumes, what's with the German coach and assistants always wearing the same clothes. I heard them refered to in commentary as "the oldest boy band in town". Matching suits fine, matching tracksuits OK. Doesn't anyone think it just a bit odd that they don't wear those things but are always wearing matching different outfits for different games.
And they're even kind of 1970's dorky looking uniforms, like they've been stuck in an olympic locker room since Munich.

Best comment I've heard so far from a broadcaster about a sloppy goalkeeper:
"He's like an octopus trying to open a beach chair."
Priceless.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I think the best day of football so far, I recorded and watched both games. It was all great. I feel a little bit for Ghana as both teams gave it a go and were good value, but I'd say the same about Uruguay. I wonder if today will be as good.

Jools
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

I feel really sorry for Ghana :(
the teams were evenly matched but that b*****d Suarez, that foul cretin, he screwed them over and enjoyed it a lot

I really hope some Africans toss his sorry butt in a local river; see if he can batter the crocs away with his hands :lol:

it's not a coincidence this kind of player plays for AJAX, the Amsterdam team. they specialize in that kind of game.
the only good thing coming out of Amsterdam is the train to Eindhoven!

it would have been grand for Africa if an African team had made it to the subfinals, but alas.....

I don't like penaltys. give me the sudden death method anytime.
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

sidguppy wrote:I don't like penaltys. give me the sudden death method anytime.
Problem with that is injuries. They play for too long. Ghana are out of the world cup NOT because of the penalty shoot out but because they missed a penalty in extra time. Only way around that is to change the rule so that you can award a penalty goal and just use a yellow card for the cretin. Have to say, I'd do exactly the same thing (without thinking about it) in such a situation.

Meantime, watch your language please? :-)

Jools
bronzefry
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

So happy for the Netherlands! Great result! Mom and I were laughing too hard at the show of theatrics by both sides. Glad the refs didn't buy it. But, to step on a leg in front of the ref?
Amanda
ps. Fenway Park in Boston hosts Celtic FC in July for the past 5 years:
http://www.tickets.com/footballatfenway ... enge062510
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

:foggie:

See, we don´t need referees to help us out! :twisted:

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
bronzefry
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

OMG! 4-0 Germany!
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

Yup, they're doing absolutely great; played Argentina completely out of the game

now Spain wins as well; it's gonna be a European party and I can live with that :mrgreen:

Have to say, I'd do exactly the same thing (without thinking about it) in such a situation.
Like Suarez did?

that's were you and I differ then :)

I'd rather lose honorably than win by cheating. for me that's a no-brainer. about pride, having a moral code and live or play by that code.
but YMMV.

otherwise we might as well allow guns, bombs or swords or no rules at all, just kill the opponent and win.
but where's the honor in that? nowhere.

it's not handball, it's not basketball, it's football.

and funny though it might be, but football's supposed to be played by using one's feet, not hands.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Speak Easy”