Bought some L260s

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
der Ingo
Location 1: Southern California
Interests: Plecos!

Bought some L260s

Post by der Ingo »

Well now that my 125 is up and running, and my q-tank has been emptied, I had some space for new fish. I have been drooling over some at a fish store a couple hours away (it's been about a year now!) I was up there for a birthday and stopped by the store, and there they were, a tank of L-260s, on sale for $24.99 US, which is absurdly cheap.

I was torn between them and some L66s, which were $17 US. I finally decided that I would appreciate the 260s better and they are pretty much never seen for a decent price in my area, so I was able to haggle the price to $20 each and bought three. They wouldn't take checks or I would have bought more.

They are a magnificent fish and I really love them. I don't have a digital camera so I can't show you mine. Well, I'd better go back to my post in front of the tank. I can't keep my eyes off of them.
der Ingo

Post by der Ingo »

They survived the night and ate the deworming food from last night, so I'm pretty hopeful. I put a powerhead in the q-tank and they seem to really enjoy that. They're really lively and will sometimes chase each other when one enters the other's territory, but they aren't overly aggressive.

Their patterns are the bets part though. I can't stop looking at them. They're all about 3-4 inches, so they'll be ready to breed within the year probably, as long as I was able to pick out a male and female. I know at least one's a male, but I'll have to wait and see about the others. Any tips on breeding them? I haven't heard too much on the board about it.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Try sending a PM to Easy. I know he has bred them twice.

Regards,
Mike D.
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

Lots of water current, directly or just at the entrance of the cave...not too strong though, and water changes that would simulate the rainy season once every two or three days...perhaps you should start with that. :)

Well that worked for me...
Ena
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

hmm, my L260 have been the most reclusive pleco I've ever kept.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

@ingo dont know where you are from but in the Frankfurt-Mainz area 25 euro is a common price and the fish appear often in the shops.
cheers
Christian
der Ingo

Post by der Ingo »

I should corret where I'm from. I did live in Germany for a while, but right now I'm in southern California.

What do you use for caves? I'm not sure if I should go with terracota or some kind of plastic pipe.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

HI!

I had some really good success with cave made with slate plate,
Out of PVC tube, Bamboo and slate plate cave, my fish really prefer the later!!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”