Jumping Plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Jumping Plecos

Post by Easy »

Been reading and hearing frequent accounts of L177s jumping out of the tank...so does this jumping ability apply for all plecos or only a selected few?

Am thinking of putting some plecos in a pond...so I guess I need all the information I could get.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

All plecos have the ability to jump. I've rarely had one hit the floor unless it was in a new tank and wasn't familiar with its surroundings though.

Barbie
coryfav
Location 1: Singapore (West)
Interests: Fishkeeping, Travelling, Reading, Correspondence

Post by coryfav »

I found my L262 on the floor one morning, recently. It's still breathing but its body was already quite stiff. I put it into the hospital tank but it died that evening. :(

It's been with me for a few months, so I figured that it probably jumped out while being chased by one of the other plecos...
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

Yes, plecos do seem to have more of a tendency to leave the tank than most other fish. I've lost a regular gold nugget to it, and had a scarlet pleco leave the tank, if she hadn't been a big loud girl she'd have been dead too, but made enough noise I heard it from the other room and returned her to the tank.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well when newly introduce in a tank they do take time to explore the whole house, sometimes they seem to be interested into going out to see what is behind that glass...

I lost a beautiful full grown mature male L260 because of a small openeing in the quarantine tank... since I don't leave my tank open if the water level is really close to the top.

During the summer, when it get really hot and for cooling the tank T° down I open the top, I don't worry much about them jumping since the water level is 15-20 cm lower...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

jumping plecs

Post by magnum4 »

I very nearly lost a as yet undiscribed species one summer when the covers were off the tank. The plec was not new to the tank and the other fish are not big enough to be a threat but a 8" plec managed at least a 6" leap. That was back when i didn't think plecs could jump.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

I lost an 12inch scarlet bec it jumped out of its tank.. But so far I have never seen a pleco jumped out of a pond.. :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”