Breeding Mangos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
der Ingo
Location 1: Southern California
Interests: Plecos!

Breeding Mangos

Post by der Ingo »

Have any of you heard of reports about breeding mangos? I know they're all wild caught, but I was wondering if there was any type of information about breeding reports.
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Doubt it, in fact I have never even seen one over 4".

I'm pretty sure they are wild caught.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

they might be the same with breeding nuggets since they are of the same family.. but I have never seen any documents about anyone who has been able to breed them..
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

T wrote:Doubt it, in fact I have never even seen one over 4".
We kept a 5 inch long (SL) one once upon a time. They obviously do get that big, but it probably takes years and years to do it.

Rusty
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

fish size

Post by Stuey »

hi there,

I was visiting a place in Huddersfield UK, at the weekend, a wholesaler and fish importer who is now selling to the public (tropicalfish.co.uk).

He had a tank of mango plecs there. Amongst the group were fish well above 6 inches, which he thought to be 2-3 yrs old.

He has also had some in well above this size.

I also saw the biggest L128 I have evedr seen, a real beauty over 10 inches I'd guess

Stu
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

I have one that is close to 6 inches in length...it has become a bit territorial.
Ena
T

Post by T »

Could someone please post a pic of a mango pl*co over 4" please.....I would love to see one.
Loricariidae Wholesales
Location 1: Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire
Interests: Importing tropical fish

12" L47 Mango

Post by Loricariidae Wholesales »

Just to cheer you all up thinking 4" was big, I have some in at 7" to 8" at the moment. But the largest we have imported were 12" and were built like tanks.

http://www.tropicalfish.co.uk
The Tropicalfish Co. UK
T

Re: 12" L47 Mango

Post by T »

Loricariidae Wholesales wrote:Just to cheer you all up thinking 4" was big, I have some in at 7" to 8" at the moment. But the largest we have imported were 12" and were built like tanks.

Please say you have pics????

Btw whats a good diet for a fussy mango?
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

Here's my almost 6" Mango Pleco. :D

Ena
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Is it true that as it grow bigger and bigger, the yellow part of the fins will get lesser and lesser?
Loricariidae Wholesales

1. Sorry I do not have photos, it was before I got a digital.
2. You are right the yellow does get less although there is still some on the tip of the dorsal and plenty on the tail. the yellow tips on the other fins had gone though.

The Tropicalfish Co. UK
T

Post by T »

Great pic, mine has grow since I have had him.Just not much, what do you feed yours Easy, mines a tad fussy to say the least.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

w0w a 12inch L47 that really is a beauty.. Im sure its quite hard to get one? Ill try to order for some! 8) At the moment we have imported 12-14inches L27, L14, L95, L155 and L25... the biggest L47 ive seen is at 7-8inches.. that really must be a very beautiful fish! I hope someone could post pics of an L47 at 10-12inches :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Loricariidae Wholesales

Feeding L47

I do not find feeding L47's is difficult if they are kept on their own or with other L47's. I normally feed raw peeled potato and flake food. Obviously other greens would do as well but I can't be bothered to tie a lead weight to everything.:idea: The biggest problem with getting them to feed is that they are very timid fish that will not muscle in on food if other fish are feeding and as such may not be best suited to a community plec tank if not enough feeding points are available. The other big problem that I have mentioned before is if the pH is too low it will inhibit their feeding.

The Tropicalfish Co. UK
T

Post by T »

Whats a good PH for them?I sometimes find mine will just stop eating for a week or so.Mines just in a planted tank setting and theres always food available to him, out of all the pl*cos in there he is the boss too, even dominant over a royal of similar size.
Loricariidae Wholesales

pH

I keep mine around pH 7.5, that is not to say they will not fair well at different pH's. I would not go below pH6.5 and would try to keep it above pH7.
The Tropicalfish Co. UK

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”