L-201's ordered

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sabbath
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Milford, CT
Location 2: Milford, CT

L-201's ordered

Post by sabbath »

Well after being out of fish for more than a year, I set up a medium sized (55 USG) tank and will receive a shipment of L-201, on Wed. At least I hope they are L-201 and not one of the others that are sold as such. We will see! I can't really tell from the pic:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1271718004

The seller has a good reputation and seems like a pretty nice guy. He has LOTS of nice plecs listed I've seen this fish in the stores for upwards of $60 so I think $20 each plus shipping is pretty good. They will be sharing the tank with a trio of Apistogrammas panduro, and maybe some tetras down the line. I do have some impulse fish that need a home. Anyone in the CT area need some Pearl Gourami?
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: L-201's ordered

Post by vanillarum »

Yep, John is a great guy and has quality fish. I have purchased fish from him on 2 occasions and have been very happy. As a note of caution, as with any WC fish, I would make sure that you treat them in quarantine when they arrive. I use fungus eliminator from Jungle, and find it works quite well. Good luck with your 201s.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
doodlebug
Location 2: Bakersfield,Mo

Post by doodlebug »

I just received some too from someone on AB. They're F-1s, but they are awesome. I tried to look them up on the cat-e-log, but theres not a whole lot of info. I hope you don't mind me asking on your thread, but are these guys mostly meat eaters? I've tried some bloodworms but they didn't look too interested. I asked the seller and he said he fed them mostly algae wafers, live grindal worms, flake food, and sometimes brine shrimp. I just thought they are more carnivorous.
sabbath

Post by sabbath »

Not at all, feel free to ask whatever you like. Hypancistrus are meat eaters. My seller tells me they have been eating brine, bloodworms and cichlid pellets.
doodlebug
Location 2: Bakersfield,Mo

Post by doodlebug »

Thank you! Do you feed them after you turn the lights out on the aquarium? They're a little skittish during the day.
sabbath

Post by sabbath »

Never kept them. Most plecs I have kept do seem to like it a bit dim though. I have most of the plants (all easy low light stuff) to one side of the tank, so i can leave the lights off on the other side.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Mine come out whenever I feed food they especially like, lights or no lights. Earthworm sticks, shrimp pellets, NLS all make them come out of their hiding spots. Seems to be key to have hiding spots for them to scatter to if they are frightened, then they will venture out if you don't startle them.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

I would have API General Cure handy in case some disease strikes (rather than after you discover an illness in your plecs you just mail ordered, like I experiences at http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=302345)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”