Greedy banjo

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Greedy banjo

Post by Andy »

Hi

Has anyone else had a greedy banjo cat or is mine a freak? It regularly beats my p. costatus to any food dropped into the tank. The banjo is about 10 cm and really fat and the costatus is just a juvie of about 5 cm, is that why the banjo is getting away with robbery?

Andy
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Mine is pretty lethargic as banjo cats go, but it seems to be getting more than its fair share of food in a tank filled with active bottom feeders. Its belly is always very well rounded after a night of activity and I'm wondering how it does this (maybe it's a real speed demon after the lights are out).
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I have been able to see my Bunocephalus knerii eating, nothing to envy to any other cichlid species or loach species, when eating food such as blood worms, these are really speady guys, scavenging the bottom like cory or loaches... quite a contrast with their unactive behavior during the day...

My Bunocephalus verrucosus to the contrary is really slow when feeding, what ever you can give them...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Thanks for the answers!

My banjo cat is a bunocephalus coracoideus, the reason that I posted was that I seem to recall that others have posted that it's a slow species. I hardly ever see it move but it is always in a different place when I look for it. It even moves about during daytime.

anyhow, thanks for the replies,

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”