HELP! which one is it?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
plecorocks
My cats species list: 8 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 2: Madison, WI USA

HELP! which one is it?

Post by plecorocks »

I know it isn't the greatest shot - I was rearranging some rocks in my 75 gal mbuna tank today and found one of my plecos in a "cave rock" - I yelled for my brother to grab the camara and he snapped two shots before I put him back.
I've been wondering what he was for a while. When I bought him/her/it was called a "butterfly pleco" at the store. I googled that, and he looks nothing like a "butterfly pleco" - the closest I could find in the planet catfish pictures was L201. Not 100% sure, what do you all think?
Attachments
jesse's fish-3.jpg
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Re: HELP! which one is it?

Post by nvcichlids »

It is a "common" type pleco, my guess being

The dorsal in your fish and in the joselimaianus look very similar.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
plecorocks

Post by plecorocks »

It very well could be - thanks. When you put quotes around "common" - what does that mean, exactly? That is commonly found in stores? or bred by farms?

I haven't been in many specialty shops, but I know it isn't as readily seen as a true "common pleco" - I've seen a lot of brushy-nose, rubberlipped, etc. and hadn't seen one like this before - again that doesn't mean it's rare - I'm just interested in the term "common."

Thanks for posting.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The term "common pleco" has been, and still is, applied to at least a half dozen spp. Part of the reason for this is that export centers change with time. So the "common" of yester year that was coming from Venezuela or Trinidad is not the common of today, which may come from Colombia or Brazil. For many years folks put about zero effort in to telling these fishes apart, even though several actual genera were involved. In fact, probably 90% plus of aquarists today make no effort to identify what they were sold as a "pleco" to "eat algae" by their local retailer.

I would not lump your fish in with the "commons" however as it was actually the very first L Number (L 1). However since that time, commercial breeders in SE Asia have started farming them making them commonly available at very low prices. So in that since they have become a common (as in commonly available) loricariid.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
plecorocks

Post by plecorocks »

Thanks for taking the time and explaining that to me Shane - it's much appreciated.

Return to “What is my catfish?”