CW21 VS. C. Axelrodi ??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cmstwc
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Francisco, USA

CW21 VS. C. Axelrodi ??

Post by cmstwc »

I won 6 of CW21(?) yesterday from Pete on AB, aka Lotoffish. Fish haven't come in yet, but Pete is very nice on communication. At the same time, I asked a well known cory breeder, and he suggested those fish I won are actually C. Axelrodi (based on ad pictures) . Now, I am really confused about what they really are and what is the different between the two. Both of the identifier are very experienced, and I am very respectful to their comments. In either case, I am happy about it, because they just look pretty (in the picture for now). But, truth is truth, does anyone have a good set of definitions to distinguish between the two? Thank in advance!
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Re: CW21 VS. C. Axelrodi ??

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. I am the person that ID'd those for Pete as CW021. Two other breeders, who have much more experience than myself have ID'd these as C. axelrodi. I certainly will defer to their call, although the fish in question do resemble what my CW021's looked like before maturing and developing their second, lower stripe.

Here is a picture of my C. axelrodi - very mature and very well conditioned.

I apologize for the mis-identification, but I am far from infallible and gave what I thought was an honest, reasoned call. - Frank

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
cmstwc
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Francisco, USA

Post by cmstwc »

Not a problem Frank. So the difference between CW21 and Axelrodi is the second line? You may wanta contact Pete to let him know for future. I am fine with what I got.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I'm only going on what people have told me (therefore may just be repeating misinformation), but I'd thought that CW021 had near-parallel black lines, whereas in axelrodi the lines converge (as can be seen in the bottom line in Frank's photo of an adult fish).
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

cmstwc wrote:Not a problem Frank. So the difference between CW21 and Axelrodi is the second line? You may wanta contact Pete to let him know for future. I am fine with what I got.
Hello. I have notified him. - Frank

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”