Bushy nose pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Ladybugzcrunch
Location 2: SW Florida

Bushy nose pleco

Post by Ladybugzcrunch »

Will two male bushy nose plecos in a 40 gallon breeder fight or will they get along okay together?
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: Bushy nose pleco

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I think a lot has to do with the individuals and also how your tank is setup. ie, number of hiding spots/caves and whether there are many visual territorial boundaries. I'm no pleco expert by any definition of the word, but all my tanks are planted, have driftwood and a lot of hiding places and so far I've not had any serious aggression problems with any of my plecos.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

I will say reguardless, your tank is plenty big for two males.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Re: Bushy nose pl*co

Post by DJ-don »

nvcichlids wrote:I will say reguardless, your tank is plenty big for two males.
you should add some good amount of hidy holes too. if you just have one cave in there, they will of course fight aver that one cave constantly
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I had 2 males and 3 females in a 40 gal breeder and they were fine. Bred like rabbits was the only problem. :lol:

I had a lot of driftwood tangles and caves all over.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I'm unfamiliar with American tank dimensions, so I don't know what footprint a 40g breeder has. My 36 UK gallon tank has a footprint of 4' X 1' and has 3 males and a female in it (not the sex ratio I aimed for!) and they're fine- the males even tolerate each other feeding on the same piece of courgette at once, which is something their father would never do. As with any fish, two might be the worst possible number (you don't say whether there are any females in the tank), but if you offer food at opposite ends of the tank it should be OK.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

As stated elsewhere, it's a lot to do with the individual fish, and quite likely also how long the fish have been kept together - it is more likely that if they grow up together that they will also accept each other more than if you introduce one fully grown male to another established male's "territory".

A 40 gal breeder is 36 x 18" base and 16" tall (according to the first link I found with google, at least).

--
Mats
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

DJ-don wrote:
nvcichlids wrote:I will say reguardless, your tank is plenty big for two males.
you should add some good amount of hidy holes too. if you just have one cave in there, they will of course fight aver that one cave constantly

with a tank that size, even with one cave, they would be fine IMO. the loser of the "dominance" battle will just make do with the space thats left. (which would be 24" x 6" if you go with each fish normally defending a 12x12 territory.)
What's your favorite Dressing~~

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”