Rubbernose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

Rubbernose?

Post by Timberwolf »

I have two fish that I picked up at PetSmart near the Portland, OR Airport. They had them listed as "Rubberlipped" Plecos, which I can't find in the Cat-eLog. They are nearly identical to the pictures listed for the , so I thought I had found my fish, until I read on the page that their export is banned and that they never have been exported. My tank is very heavily planted, which they seem to be enjoying, so getting a picture of them to post is proving to be a challenge.

I'd love to hear some more educated guesses about what they might be (until I can post some pictures). They are about 2 inches long and when we caught them to bag them for the trip home, they took on a mottled almost reddish coloration.

Thanks
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 889
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 422
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rubbernose?

Post by Silurus »

Are you sure you do not have the more common ?
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

If they were labelled rubberlipped pleco then they are likely one of the chaetostoma species - milesi is seen often over here, but a pic will be invaluable in order to be specific
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

mine from petsmart in central calif I am fairly certain are these:

On the tank at the store it said Chaetostoma thomsoni if I remember correctly, which I highly doubt they are as no one here has any listed as ownign that kind and the drawing doesn't look like mine. Mine are over two yrs old now. One is a more blonde colour and one is a more khaki or greenish colour.
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

Post by Timberwolf »

My Better Half finally got some worthwhilr pictures of the two, but I've only just gotten Photoshop reinstalled after spending most of last week installing a new hard drive and a clean install of Windows.

The clog that andywoolloo posted, however, is exactly what I have.

Thank you.

Sam
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

sure thing, how long have you had yours? I found mine very hard to acclimate to food at first. I lost a few till I started doing the things suggested on this site such as giving them smooth rocks with nice green algae on them and also the smashed up fish food mixed in with egg white and painted on a smooth rock and left in sun to dry.

Once they started eating that they ate everything else, it was getting them to start that was hard. They woujld also eat those horrible white chalky vacation blocks in the beginning cause that s what they ate at the fish store. yuch

see Mats article here:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... es+of+food
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Timberwolf wrote:My Better Half finally got some worthwhilr pictures of the two, but I've only just gotten Photoshop reinstalled after spending most of last week installing a new hard drive and a clean install of Windows.

The clog that andywoolloo posted, however, is exactly what I have.

Thank you.

Sam
Going a bit sideways on the discussion: If you fancy getting a much simpler photo editor, I can recommend IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). It is excellent for those cases where all you need to do is some simple crops, level adjustment and resizing. Of course, if you are going to alter the colour of the background from green to blue, or make major edits, then photoshop is much better.

All the work I do to put photos into the Cat-eLog is done by Irfanview - because it starts in 0.1 seconds, rather than about 30s for PS. And I usually just have to flip the photo so that the fish is facing to the right rather than left. I don't even have Photoshop on my laptop (it belongs to my work, and work doesn't have a license for PS).

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”